[eDebate] Graduate Assistantship at University of Florida

Marissa Silber luvmarissa
Tue Nov 27 14:52:17 CST 2007

Below is an email from Frank Irizarry, Director of Debate at University of Florida. As the current graduate assistant, I am more than willing to talk to anyone interested in studying and coaching in Gainesville - Marissa

Greetings,

The University of Florida Debate Team would like to invite candidates to apply
for a graduate coaching/teaching assistantship to work with our debate program
beginning in the fall of 2008. The position would not require any teaching
(although teaching opportunities may be available), just assisting with the
debate program.

The Graduate Assistant coach is expected to supervise and provide models for
research and argument writing, the supervision of practice debates and speaking
drills, the supervision of research assignments, judging at and traveling to
three to four tournaments per semester. Kellie Roberts, our DOF, takes care of
99% of the administrative responsibilities to make sure that I, as well as the
Graduate Assistant, have maximum time for coaching.

Since there is no MA in Speech Communication at UF, Assistantships will be
awarded to either MA or Ph.D. students in any academic department. There is
also the potential for using the assistantship to cover about 50% of Law School
tuition if the student is enrolled in a joint degree program. The assistantship
includes a full-time (9 credit hours per semester) tuition waiver, salary
stipend ($5,000 - $10,000 per year), plus a per tournament stipend.

If you are interested, please backchannel and I will be able to answer any of
your questions and provide you with further information.  My e-mail address is Gatordebate at aol.com.

Thank your for your interest in Florida Debate.

Sincerely,

Frank P.
Irizarry

Policy Debate Coach

University of Florida

413 Rolfs Hall

PO Box 112032

Gainesville, FL
 32611-2032

(352) 392-5421, ext. 75

Share life as it happens with the new Windows Live.Download today it's FREE!
http://www.windowslive.com/share.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_Wave2_sharelife_112007