[eDebate] FW: [allasiandebate] Women's IV

Jason Jarvis debatekorea
Thu Nov 29 23:35:35 CST 2007

Malacca is a lovely city and I am sure that this will be a great tournament.  Adiba is an outstanding debater.

As you all continue to debate solutions to oppression in American debating consider this tournament as a way to expand your horizons.

Malaysia is a Muslim nation, where women's rights are always second to the rights of men, with a democracy that can be described as limited (to be polite) given that there is one primary political party which has held power for the entire existence of its "democracy."

More interesting is that Malaysia is a country which has reverse Affirmative Action.  In this case, Affirmative Action for the majority (Bumiputra Malays) because Chinese traders were so successful historically, that they managed to gain huge financial advantages over the other citizens.  Functionally, racism has been institutionalized into this society so that Muslim Bumi's are guaranteed jobs, academic placement in schools, etc ahead of Chinese or Indian/Hindu citizens who are more highly qualified.

Yet they are holding this competition, and all of you are welcome to join.