[eDebate] [CEDA-L] Accusations of Illegal Debating

Sherry Hall shahall
Thu Nov 1 22:16:10 CDT 2007

Shawn--

I have to agree with Neil.  There is no way for anyone to add constructive comments or opinions about this issue when they have no idea what you are talking about.  Whether you want to debate the merits of the claim or not, some brief explanation of what the issues are -- what is your argument?  what is the nature of the accusation of illegality?  -- is necessary.  Surely, if someone threatens to kill someone else in a debate round, that is not protected speech just because it occurred in the setting of a debate round.

Sherry

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Shawn T Whalen
  To: NEIL BERCH
  Cc: Shawn T Whalen ; eDebate at ndtceda.com ; ceda-l at ndtceda.com
  Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2007 9:20 PM
  Subject: Re: [CEDA-L] [eDebate] Accusations of Illegal Debating

  Hi Neil,

  My goal is not to debate the merits of the sexual harassment claim advanced against my debaters performance but rather to suggest that any claim of illegality is inappropriate in debates and that should legal claims need to be made there are other venues better designed to accomodate those claims.

  Shawn