[eDebate] [CEDA-L] 50 points Repko, Larson and others

Josh jbhdb8
Fri Nov 2 15:16:10 CDT 2007

Confused about the "Hoe Magic Fiat Wand"

When I was in HS I learned the following partially from Ross
Smith...Presumption is against change and making QUALITY ARGUMENTS is the
key to overcoming this inertia....

Ross made an argument for a 50 point scale that only used 20 points...I
said "that is really a justification for a 20 point scale"

Ross's response seems to suggest that his ability to persuade people with
the quality argument against compression has ebbed so he will try to force
the action through a change at his tournament (coupled with a 30 point
cushion to be a pillow for the head of judges who dont feel comfortable
giving someone 4 speaker points on a 20 point scale).....Ok, if it works,
awesome.  Thats why I also said I would sign on and judge using the scale as
presented/intended.

Of course if the argument for not compressing points isnt persuasive enough
to make the point to the majority of judges in the first place with whatever
damn scale we choose/use - those of us who agree to conform are "punishing
the debaters that prefer us as judges" (which is an argument the same Ross
Smith made to me around three or four years ago).  If that is the
case....all that will happen is the "I'm Ok Your Ok" crowd will continue to
give everyone 45-50 and the "compression bad" crowd gives more nuanced 30-50
assigned points...what was accomplished.  Like everything else, its the
persuasiveness of the argument that changes things not the accompanying
legislation.

Josh