[eDebate] Accusations of Illegal Debating

Ede Warner ewarner
Fri Nov 2 16:53:41 CDT 2007

One other thing Tria and I discussed:  when you see a crime being
committed, you often have two choices: call the legal authorities,
usually the cops or be considered an accomplice, which may in and of
itself depending on the circumstances, be a crime.  I guess the third
option that you can be labeled: a victim.

From: "Ede Warner" <ewarner at louisville.edu>
To:<ncfa at lists.uop.edu>, <ceda-l at ndtceda.com>, <eDebate at ndtceda.com>,
"Shawn T Whalen" <swhalen at sfsu.edu>
Date: 11/2/2007 5:06 PM
Subject: Re: [eDebate] Accusations of Illegal Debating
Hello my dear friend,

I'm not sure that most of the discussion has addressed the fundamental
question, but let me try.  There are three distinct categories at work
here:  crimes, acts of harassment, and offensive speech.  Understanding
the distinctions seems important before any policy course is selected.

Crime- Other than the "threat of sexual assault" (I'm pretty sure this
isn't a crime in and of itself) nothing that approaches a crime has been
mention.  I'm not sure that a threat of sexual assault is sufficient
evidence to be charged or convicted of sexual assault either.  Frankly I
don't know, but I strongly suspect that it's not enough.  Threats and
attempts may or may not be the same thing.  Given the context of a
debate round, I suspect that no prosecutor would see that as sufficient
evidence alone.  There have been crimes at debate tournaments, although
I suspect most of them have occurred outside of the competition round
proper.  Perhaps your students engaged in indecent exposure although
that hasn't been discussed outside of Neil's example.  But generally, I
don't think anything illegal took place.

Harassment- While I can't speak to CEDA's policy nearly as eloquently
as Jan did, I can say that my time helping to develop a racial
harassment policy at Louisville, similar to the existing sexual
harassment policy, makes it difficult to do inside of a single speech.
Most of these charges require a process to occur first.  Whether it's
offensive comments by someone, followed by an acknowledgment of the
nature of the offensive, followed by the comment or action to be done
repeatedly thereafter.  Parts of these procedures usually include things
like informal mediation or informal of certain procedures prior to a
formal charge.  This seems consistent with what Jan's post said about
CEDA's policy.

Offensive speech- The culture of NDT/CEDA debate is built on offensive
speech, both inside the competition round and outside.  As just one
example, Elliott's speech is protected all the time through silence by
others in this community.  But there are many, many others.  I have
certainly been guilty of purposefully trying to offend most in the
community from time to time.  The only question is who is being
offended?  Sometimes it's judges being offended by losing teams after
debates, sometimes teams offend each other, and sometimes coaches offend
their own students and vice versa.  Currently, the regulation of
offensive speech is defend yourself or perish:  judges can choose to
intervene, debaters can choose to challenge issues they find offensive,
and coaches can make regulate students and be regulated by their higher
level administrators.  Now as to whether that should be the cause, and
whether or not the community should find new and different ways to
regulate offensive speech, I don't know:  depends on what the purpose
and goals of the activity are.

But to confuse a crime or even the allegation of a crime with offensive
speech does in fact run contrary to everything this community has
generally theoretically defended over my 25 years in it.  But when
application of said theories begin, it does seem more and more, that
selective choices are being made to censor speech when folks disagree,
contrary to those theories.  What I do know is that if this community
doesn't make some effort to formally gather a stronger hold on a set of
formal priorities beyond what appears to be
mostly competition, these
selective forays into make believe: like making believe something is a
crime and then using that as a threat to walk out of a debate contest,
will create a problem for the activity.  The community lacks any common
goal or objective outside of competition and that is a long term problem
for any group or organization.  In the end, this group will come
together to end the hypocrisy by itself or external pressure will likely
create that change.

-Ede

Ede Warner, Jr.
Director of Debate Society/Associate Professor of Communication
University of Louisville
308E Strickler Hall
502-852-3522
e0warn01 at gwise.louisville.edu