[eDebate] [CEDA-L] Accusations of Illegal Debating

Zompetti, Joseph Perry jpzompe
Fri Nov 2 22:33:57 CDT 2007

Shawn,

First of all, what's up?  How r u doing???

Second, what's up???  I don't know the specific context of your debaters' situation, but....

1) if this is causing controversy, doesn't that mean your debaters did a good job???

2) we debated this stuff on the T7 topic - the first year after you left Mercer - isn't the onus on the person suspected on committing harrassment?  In other words, if your debaters say "foul," and their opponents say "not what we meant," there's a presumption for your opponents.

E.g., don't your debaters have some recourse here???  It's not the presumption that someone calls "foul," "hey, there's a discrepency here," but rather that "hey, they say 'foul,' but they need to prove it.'""

So, your debaters seem to be in the control seat.  Others who cry "foul" need to substantiate such claims.  Perhaps this will help your initial objection.

Best,
zomp

________________________________

From: edebate-bounces at www.ndtceda.com on behalf of Shawn T Whalen
Sent: Fri 11/2/2007 2:45 PM
To: Northup, Brent
Cc: ceda-l at ndtceda.com; eDebate at ndtceda.com
Subject: Re: [eDebate] [CEDA-L] Accusations of Illegal Debating

Hi Brent,

I appreciate many of the sentiments here and I only wish it were as easy as you describe.

My students are offended by the way that people use heteronormativity to restrain their expressions of self.  Other people are offended by the values that underlie an acceptance of who they are how they are allowed to express themselves.  This conflict is at the center of mainstream political dialogue.  It is inconceivable to me that there might be a way to move forward without some measure of offense being taken.

Thanks for reading,

Shawn