[eDebate] [CEDA-L] 100 point scale, not 50

Alfred Snider alfred.snider
Sun Nov 4 16:32:16 CST 2007

Ross Smith wrote:
> So, we originally had in mind a 50 point scale where you could still use
> half points.
>
> My message analogizing to grades required people to divide 100 by 2 to
> get the idea.
>
> Several people have pointed out that we might as well use a 100 point
> scale (without half points). Maybe it would be more "natural" to
> educators and students who are used to giving and getting grades on such
> a scale.
>
> Since there is no mathematical difference, I have no objection (nor does
> Gary Larson, tab engineer).
>
> What do people think? Does the 100 point scale help with the gestalt?

The 100-point scale is used at the World Universities Debating Championship.

Here is the breakdown. There seems to be a lot of wiggle room. I hope
the formatting comes through:

90-100
Excellent to flawless. The standard of speech you would expect to see
from a speaker at the Semi Final / Grand Final level of the tournament.
This speaker has many strengths and few, if any, weaknesses.

80-89
Above average to very good. The standard you would expect to see from a
speaker at the finals level or in contention to make to the finals. This
speaker has clear strengths and some minor weaknesses.

70-79
Average. The speaker has strengths and weaknesses and roughly equal
proportions.

60-69
Poor to below average. The team has clear problems and some minor strengths.

50-59
Very poor. This speaker has fundamental weaknesses and few, if any,
strengths.

This system seems to work well to produce a "spread" of scores. There
are usually very few ties.

This is just a FYI.

Tuna

--