[eDebate] Fw: "Illegal debating" discussion

Sherry Hall shahall
Mon Nov 5 15:27:39 CST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: Sherry Hall
To: James E. Radford jr
Sent: Monday, November 05, 2007 4:13 PM
Subject: Re: [eDebate] "Illegal debating" discussion

The threatened sexual assault I referred to in an earlier post occurred at another tournament, but involved this same team.  It was explained as a situation where the usual performance "got out of hand."  I was not asserting that a violent sexual assault had been threatened in this debate.  I just want back and re-read Wende's post.  I thought she had originally said it included showing pornography, but I agree that that is not in there.  Someone else had written me right before Wende's post and said that it did include pornography, so I confused the two posts.   Whether there was pornography shown or not, does not change the fact that the explicit sexuality created a hostile environment, that this was communicated to the team, and that the coach for that team responded that that was their intended purpose.   It is this admission that the debaters are knowlingly and intentionally creating an environment that makes it impossible for someone else to particpate that I take exception with.

I guess I fundamentally disagree with you and Shawn that academic freedom should trump all other concerns.  When I debated there were less than 10 women at the NDT and only one coach who was a woman.  People sat around trying to figure out why more women chose not to participate in college debate.  A not insubstantial number of us concluded that sexual harassment, both in rounds and among squads, was a big part of the problem.  We embarked on a grass-roots consciousness raising campaign in the early 90s.  At that time we said that our goal was to try to make people aware of the kinds of practices and actions that made debating difficult for women.  I felt strongly that an explicit policy against sexual harassment was unnecessary because most of the people in this activity are basically respectful of each other.  This incident, and other recent incidents, are causing me to rethink this position.  I think it is time that this community decided whether or not we are willing to say that people can say or do whatever they want in a debate round regardless of the consequences it has on other participant's sense of empowerment, sense of inclusion/exclusion, and ultimately the overall levels of diversity of participation.

As for whether or not it was correct for Wende to characterize the SFSU performance as "illegal", I have to disagree with you again.  Title IX makes it illegal to create sexually or racially hostile learning environments.  This is an academic activity, most of the coaches are professors or at least employees of universities, all of the participants are students at universities (at least they are supposed to be :--) ).  The battle to include legal protections against sexual and racial discrimination in this country was a hard fought one, and if someone, especially a freshman, has the courage to stand up and express her discomfort with this situation, which is not the cool thing to do, and not an easy thing to do, then you should not tell her that it is wrong for her to invoke the legal protections that she is entitled to.

I am still mulling over what I think we as a community should do to address this situation.  I am leaning toward a declaratory policy that says that harassing speech and performance in debate rounds is unethical behavior that should be treated like other unethical behavior in debate rounds -- such as fabricating evidence.  This would obviously require some sort of definition of harassment, and that is going to be difficult.  But I gather from Shawn's posts and some of those that followed, that there is disagreement over whether or not intentionally harassing one's opponents should be protected, and that question needs to be answered.  My idea would still leave it up to the individual judge to decide how to address a specific allegation in a round, just as the judge does with allegations of cheating.  It has been reported to me that the judges in the debate in question were at a loss as to what they were supposed to do.  I think a declaratory policy might help prevent other people who feel that their opponents are creating a hostile environment from being silenced.  It might also help judges who want to take a stand against the "argument" but don't feel that the rules back them up.  I am not interested in creating the sexual harassment police who will go from room to room looking to see if everyone is behaving in a proper manner.  I think that all the women from Cal Poly were asking in this situation was for their feelings to be respected.  If this policy causes teams that push the envelope to be a little more careful and respectful of the feelings of their opponents, then I think that is a good thing.  You can call this censorship if you want to, I call it basic respect.

Sherry