[eDebate] "Illegal debating" discussion

Sherry Hall shahall
Tue Nov 6 07:10:21 CST 2007

Most of what I have to say in response to this is in my previous response to Shawn's post.  I would like to address the argument about my proposed policy legitimizing speech restrictions on any aspect of any speech that makes someone feel uncomfortable.  I said this in a previous post, but I might not have articulated it as well as I would have liked.  There is a difference between one team's arguments making the judge and/or the other team uncomfortable by challenging belief systems and making a team feel uncomfortable by creating a racially and/or sexually hostile environment.  I agree that one of the most powerful ways to make people assess and evaluate their own beliefs is to create a rupture in what they thought was settled belief.  Subjecting someone who is uncomfortable with explicit references to sexuality through pornography or simulated sex acts or subjecting African-American debaters to the continued use of the "N" word in a debate round is different.  Here you are not just challenging beliefs, you are potentially creating an environment where the other participant is psychologically unable to participate.  Federal and state law has defined that action as illegal because people have a right to an educational environment that does not undermine their ability to participate.

Is this a hard line to draw?  You bet it is.  I am struggling to come up with the perfect definition that will capture the difference between the two, and it is very challenging.  Thinking about Shawn's previous post, maybe the problem here is fundamentally bound up in this difficulty.  I read Wende's post and think "they clearly expressed to SFSU that they considered this sexual harassment" because that's what the words Cal Poly used to describe their experience mean to me.  The SFSU folks might have heard those words and thought "but it's supposed to be uncomfortable" and can't understand where all this talk about hostile environment and sexual harassment is coming from.  The difficulty in characterizing the interactions between the Cal Poly team and the SFSU team is precisely why I think we need to try to formulate a policy.  The alternative is to bury our heads and say anything goes, and I don't think that's a very attractive alternative.

Sherry

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: James E. Radford jr
  To: Shawn T Whalen
  Cc: Sherry Hall ; edebate at ndtceda.com
  Sent: Monday, November 05, 2007 8:54 PM
  Subject: Re: [eDebate] "Illegal debating" discussion

  And. as a postscript.. I just Shawn's post.. It seems that there teams are doing whatever they're doing for a political purpose that is highly legitimate and well thought-out. I don't think anyone should be deterred from speaking and performing the things that are important to them. I think we can draw a ready distinction between what they are doing and a jerky coach talking aloud about the titty bar in front of young female students.

  The occasional discomfort and offense is the price we pay for a culture of unfettered political speech. What if the complaint was that a team from Army, who had lost their best friends in Iraq, felt uncomfortable, to the point of tears, when teams advanced arguments that cast the war as a farce? I think we would be quick to defend the teams advancing those arguments, even if it led Army to feel hurt or excluded.