[eDebate] Solt on the point scale

David Glass gacggc
Tue Nov 6 17:47:50 CST 2007

Hi Ross, and all,

The point that was made yesterday, that I think may have been missed, is
that it is not necessary to do an uncontrolled experiment, and guess how
things will turn out (as was done in Roger's note).  You could do a
controlled experiment:  simply have people double-enter their points, both
on the 30 point scale and the 100 point scale.  For Wake, use the 30 point
scale, but also publish the data-set to see if you get a single
distribution, or the feared multiple distributions, and to see if people
make finer distinctions within distributions (for example, if you just take
27 and multiply by 3.3333 and give a kid 90, and do the same with a 28.5,
you are not doing anything different on the 100 point scale; the two scales
at that point are identical .)

If  you observe  multiple distributions (some people translate a 27 as a 90,
others translate it as a 75, others translate it as a 97), that helps to
show that a 100 point scale would for a transition period have multiple
meanings to different people, causing results which are "meaningless" -
skewed into non-overlapping meanings based on the multiple possible
translations different people utilize. One suggested way of trying to
instill a faster transition is to actually give the translation
guidelines... but even that should be studied first via experiment and data
analysis.

Last point  : if you simply switch from one scale to another, without doing
the experimental controls suggested, you will have no way of knowing what
you have done, because you can't compare the new system to something we all
know and think we understand.

It was suggested by Gary that the experiment itself would switch behavior -
but first this is speculation, and second, this might be desirable if it
will make people think more, and take the time to use the suggested
translation guidelines.

I just don't see how one evaluates the results of the new scale as a
"success" or a "failure" if comparative data is not generated.  There would
be no possible criteria for making such judgements.

David