[eDebate] ans Warner

Wed Nov 7 11:01:10 CST 2007

Ede,

all you have to do is look at two things:

1) CEDA membership prior to the merger--almost 300--and now only about a 100
plus programs. Loss of 2/3 of membership is a huge indictment.

2) Tournaments. The closest tournament for my program is literally 10 or more
hours away. I used to be able to go to 5 CEDA tournaments within my own state.

All I know is the facts on the ground from when I was coaching at the EXACT time
of the merger. Post-merger, ALL Louisiana debate programs except mine quit doing
CEDA within two years.

I doubt your solutions of alternative formats--letting people simulate rape and
showing porn in rounds, as well as complaining every round that debate is
inherently racist-is going to bring any of these programs back from Parly.

By the way, I have no problem with slow debate, but people tend to evolve
naturally into faster forms of speaking. I bet even your debaters speak
relatively faster than most every day conversational english, when they debate
in rounds.

Scott