[eDebate] Debating debate

Ede Warner ewarner
Mon Nov 12 19:05:13 CST 2007

Jason,

I'm just wondering.  How many of the international education systems
you speak of are products of a legacy of slavery and segregation?  The
style of debate that currently exists was produced without Black
debaters, Black coaches, or anyone with lesser privilege.  Given that
legacy of unjust enrichment which created the contemporary style, why do
I, my students, or anyone else, lay equal claim to challenge how the
current style was created?  I've heard the argument that we as Americans
stand on the stolen land of Native Americans in many a debate against
Louisville, just wondering, why the land of contemporary debate and who
inherited what isn't just as stolen?

And since debate empowers students to debate the rules, why would the
governing organizations not be the right place?  Are you saying that
students shouldn't debate any rules like topicality or counterplan
theory, or just the ones you disagree with?

As far as what's educational, is it likely that folks get different
things out of debate, which makes "education" relative?  Or should all
students get the exact same benefits from debate?

I agree however, our debaters should debate every round and attempt to
win every ballot.  I suspect we disagree over what the content of those
debates look like?

Ede