[eDebate] [CEDA-L] The costs of a game, part 1: An unethical, amoral center

matt stannard stannardmatt
Fri Nov 16 00:17:06 CST 2007

Ede: You write:
"Over the seven years, it's been really hard for them to consider themselves debaters, given being told literally even round they are in, that they aren't."

I inquire:
I assume you meant to write "every" and not "even."  So that your statement should be taken as: In every round they are in, they are told they are not debaters.

But I know this is, literally, untrue.

So please clarify.

mjs

Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 23:09:31 -0500From: ewarner at louisville.eduTo: scottelliott at grandecom.net; CEDA-L at ndtceda.com; edebate at ndtceda.comSubject: Re: [eDebate] [CEDA-L] The costs of a game, part 1: An unethical, amoral center

For someone so concerned with people "playing the victim", you certainly are good at diverting attention from your unethical behavior by launching a landslide of bad arguments which were already answered with evidence to generate offense.  We use to call this debating through a wall.  You got to answer the original arguments which dust your position, before we can consider voting for the new ones.  Well actually, the new ones aren't really new either.  Except maybe the ethics charge, but let me say this again since you really want to characterize what we do as blaming students.

I am a oppressor, not intentionally, but I participate in a game that makes policy decisions through it's norms and procedures that unintentionally creates a disproportional amount of pain and oppression on minority groups.

Sounds better each time I say it.  I will concede that our debaters need to get better at admitting they are part of the institution too.  Over the seven years, it's been really hard for them to consider themselves debaters, given being told literally even round they are in, that they aren't.
Hey, if it feels better for you to say that you don't participate in the institution, go ahead.  It was "pretend day" on Nick Jr. today.