[eDebate] [CEDA-L] The costs of a game, part 1: An unethical, amoral center

Ede Warner ewarner
Fri Nov 16 22:22:58 CST 2007

Duane,

at:  The conservative view of racism

We've covered this ground in the past Duane, but let's try in again.
Perhaps your critical thinking skills have improved as a result of your
participation in the colorblind, fair debate you are defending.  Your
examples below are looking for intent to define racism.  That is not
what I'm talking about.  If that means you can't take my claims
seriously, so be it.  The fact that an institution today treats everyone
the same, doesn't mean that everyone is treated fairly, if the same
institution created earlier inequalities just before starting to treat
everyone the same.

You have two kids.  For grades 1-5 you lock one in the basement.  Then
in 6th grade you put them both in school.  Do you think the court will
say, "hey they are equal, they are both in school."  I so tired of this
ignorant, simplistic approach to race.

If I ask you why the disparities created during segregation discussed
in recent posts, which all are exactly like your examples below, impact
how Black students must compete, even if other Black students choose to
compete that way, I suspect you'll babble about how history is
irrelevant. But because your critical thinking and research skills
selectively examine the nature and history of the problem (which I
suspect you do for any topic as a coach), doesn't make your righteous
indignation a better substitute for the lack of objective investigation
that you must engage in to come to your shallow conclusions.  So let's
here your answer.  My first question:  given that fast technical debate
began during segregation, and that created an unjust privilege for the
group creating the game, why should we not examine that history before
discussing the "fairness" you believe exists today?

at: I'm a victim

As far as your language of being the victim, let's talk.  I'm not a
victim.  I have been blessed with the opportunities and abilities that
allowed me to overcome any vestiges of the race conscious discrimination
called slavery and segregation.  But I recognize that I am the exception
and not the rule.  So when I fight and speak regarding race, I do so
recognizing the pain of racial stereotyping and offensive racial claims,
effects me a lot less than many others.  But when I talk about that pain
you label me a victim.  I don't debate, so the pain my students feel in
debates is what I speak to and advocate on their behalf.  I wonder does
your pastor say that you should fight on behalf of others less fortunate
than you?  Your rhetoric, instead of focusing on whether my claims about
offensiveness and insensitivity are "true", chooses to focus on me not
being grateful because I complain too much, and because you've voted for
teams that do things similar to what Louisville does, so be quiet and be
grateful and play the game.

The fact that minority policy impacts have a uniquely higher burden to
win in a world where the decision calculus privileges the largest impact
is ignored in your analysis.  The circular trap created is that minority
impacts can only win with the kritik, which requires an in round injury
to the student involved.  However, if I train students to make those
arguments, they are "playing the victim."  2nd questions for you Duane:
In a straight policy framework, absent a create, how does a small
concrete empirical impact defeat a larger speculative one?  How easy is
it in the game of pretend debate to conjure up a big risk possibility
that really isn't?  How easy is it to divert any true notion of switch
side debate by having an agent discussion that makes the impact
invisible for the rest of the debate?  How easy is it to K or PIC that
impact out of existence?  If a really, really care about an issue, and I
want to debate it, let's look at the likelihood I'll get to debate it.
First I need a topic that has some relationship to that interest.  Then
I am beholden to a topic committee and a vote to make sure my interests
don't get left on the cutting
 room floor.  Then if I get that far, I
still need to figure out how to make my minority interests strategically
beneficial.  And after all of that, it's likely that the game will
figure out a way to divert the issue entirely.  But when I do get to run
that case, and the negative chooses to engage, the arguments are usually
offensive right wing arguments that while they embrace popular opinion,
fail to muster any true academic merit: but work for a good spread dem
out strategy.  But you believe the world treats everyone in the game of
debate the same?

How about this?  My team reached quarters in spite of the hurdles they
had to overcome because they choose to try and be different in a
community that you call colorblind and I call culturally assimilative.
We train folks to all be the same, and you what to wave a flag as if
that's a good thing.  You want to erase difference when I talk about but
celebrate it when you want to talk about it.  Why don't I have the same
right you have?  If you talk about the benefits of the community's
approach to race, why can't I talk about the problems?  Is that not true
policy making to discuss both?

Has the possibility ever, ever crossed your mind that my experiences in
this community from trying to be different, might make me the most
qualified to come up with solutions for everyone regarding diversity in
debate?  Or can you only see my discussions of race as playing the
victim?  If you had a car break down, would you take it to the mechanic
that said his only mechanic experiences were on cars that already
worked, or would you take it to the person who talks about fixing broken
cars?  Why do my experiences, both good and bad, at being different,
especially when you say I've produced so much good?  Why do you assume
that I can't be balanced and assume that I'm bias?  What even makes you
qualified to make such a judgement?  Your limited experiences with
watching difference in debates?  Your ability to see a website with our
2004 record, with little first hand knowledge about what we do and how
others respond, outside of e-debate discussions?  What makes you more
qualified than me on issues of difference Duane?  I look forward to your
answers.

Ede

Ede