[eDebate] Reactionary Provisions

Michael Mangus mmangus
Mon Nov 19 22:07:26 CST 2007

I don't really have a horse in this race since I won't be coaching
college debate for quite some time (if at all); I'm just trying to
present a realistic view of the differences that exist among LDers. To
be totally honest, I want to avoid getting myself caught up in a big
exchange. There are just two (interrelated) things I want to mention
before I return to obscurity.

The first is that I think Neil Berch's use of me as an example misses
the point of my post: for every person who is fortunate enough to have
a strong technical LD background, there are many others who do not get
to debate on the national circuit or who have a very different
national-circuit experience than I did. I was often derided for being
too much like a policy debater, and the laundry list i posted
yesterday was only a short summary of the very significant differences
that i think exist even between national circuit LD and policy debate.
The fact that I was lucky enough to debate at progressive tournaments
on the LD national circuit and then learn about policy from dedicated
coaches and a senior partner does not mean that others will have the
same experience.

The second (and related) point to be made is that if we use the
criteria  that Martin Harris suggests - things like public speaking
skill, pre-tournament preparation, filing, presence, and developing
arguments - we would also probably need a rule which counts experience
public forum, student congress, and extemporaneous speaking (they even
have cross-ex at some extemp tournaments, including the final rounds
at nfl nationals). Surely there are at least some congress or public
forum stars who have these skills: consider that the 2007 public forum
toc champions were both former LD debaters with national circuit
experience.

The unifying message here is that "your mileage may vary." Different
people get different skills from high school forensics, and
generalizations about which events count are almost impossible to
make.  I think that if there needs to be a rule - and perhaps there
does need to be - a novice "move-up" rule which measures actual
success makes a whole lot more sense than making sweeping claims about
how much incoming novices know about debate.

Michael Mangus