[eDebate] Debating Debate

Desmond Mason dsmnd_mason
Wed Nov 21 23:19:47 CST 2007

Doc, I've read all of your posts until this point and I guess this is my response.

First, you make the argument that the debate community was stolen from minorities, as the land was stolen from Native Americans. You tell the stories of many great people such as Malcolm X and Shirley Chisholm and how the arguments they raised during their time actually went on to promote real change, which I agree to be entirely true, and which I know just through studying my heritage. You explain that these people were excluded from the table of policy making because of segregation and racism, which is also entirely true. I think I'll disagree with you on "debate" being stolen from us though. I guess my first question as I'm thinking about this should be "how was 'debate' stolen from us if we never had it in the first place?" Through your analysis, I'm getting the vibe that you're assuming that 'debate' was a possession of ours which was stolen by the predominantely white/segregationist system for their own benefit, and I don't think that through your
 own argument, your analysis is right whatsoever. Matter of fact, I think your analysis actually supports what I'm saying through my post, that it is possible to win your impacts that you advocate in the debate community. There is literature out there stating that racism, dehumanization, exclusion, etc., whatever you want to talk about, are actually bigger impacts than those that look at fake shit such as nuke war as an event.

What I'm saying is if you make a great argument like Malcolm or Shirley has done many of times, you could engage the system and win. Hypothetically, you could always win that we should do this real movement because Racism exists NOW and that racism is worst than Nuke war or CAUSES nuke war, and there's ample amount of literature out there that you could always use. I can speak this truth from experience. That same senior year that I discussed earlier, I only ran one argument all year, and that was, ironically, to give the land back. I argued this because first, I feel land claims and disputes are also apart of my heritage because I have Cherokee blood in me, second, I feel through my initial studies of history that even the atrocities of Blacks wouldn't have been experienced if Native Americans weren't subjugated, and third, it was an argument that I loved. And even if the judges in that community gave automatic credence to the big impacts such as Nuke
 war, I won those rounds too. I can't even count how many hegemony debates I was apart off when arguing this advocacy. I did this as a performance. I read narratives, I used non-traditional evidence, I even rapped sometimes (and one of the lines if I could remember was "why are we debating the resolution? it's time for a real solution, to solve this colonial institution)!!!!! And I still persuaded judges, even if they were against me, because I made great arguments. That same debate that I discussed earlier in which I beat the best team in OK? They ran 6 off against me, all w/ Nuke war impacts and unfortunately, I caused their team pain after that round because of my very smart argument stating that my advocacy would actually solve militarism. I also gave justifications for looking at the place in which we are. I persuaded people and made my presence felt, and you can ask Conor Cleary or Matt Vega if you want more analysis because they judged me through
 high school. My view won't change that I think that judges on the circuit are very open minded about things and are not pre-disposed to the system. You can persuade most judges on your circuit that your advocacy/performance is great and this has happened before for Louisville without worrying about judges trivializing your impacts for fake things such as Nuke war. You just have to do the same impact work as the "trained debaters" have to do. Nobody would win a Nuke war impact debate without doing the calc/analysis. Same thing goes for performance teams/K teams. You just have to do the necessary calculus/work, just like Malcolm and Shirley did. Nothing will change my views that the debate community, as is, is a community that actually welcome's performance and free speech, you just have to be ready to defend what you say, and that's will alway's be a uphill battle no matter what, because all of us will always have different ways of viewing things.

With that said, what post of your's answers my questions: "Is exclusion inevitable?" or "What will the new community look like?" Exclusion will always be inevitable Doc, because that is part of human nature. From my view, there will never be an all inclusive debate community, because there will always be people that like "the game", and there will always be people who like the "crazy shit" and there will always be people who really advocate real change. I think the main question of your argument is "how do we get to the point in which minority performance is accepted in the debate community?" And I think I've answered that in my last post and this one, that performance is accepted already and you just have to win your arguments, such as a policy wonk has to win theirs. And your assertions that state that you will not stop until "debate as a game is dead" is proof that exclusion will always be inevitable, because you will automatically exclude those who
 think the game is actually good. I think the game is kind of good, because it has given me the benefits of an education, which has served me right in college and in choosing my course (I'm a Native American history major). This means your views exclude me, and probably a whole bunch of people. Debate already isn't really based off a monolithic interpretation of what things should be like in the squo, because if your interpretation of debate is true, then that takes out a whole bunch of teams from the table of winning and persuasion, Bard College, CSU Fullerton, any team that runs the K, Fort Hays, etc. that win regularly by not really debating policy. Your proposal of change, through reading your post, is that we should change this community to be a community that mostly accepts one type of paradigm, the paradigm of real change. This interpretation is very exclusive and not only takes away from peoples autonomy, but destroy's creativity, personhood, and
 limits the scope of what we learn. Realistically, if we were to take your interpretation and really bring it to being, this would require that topics only be local, and according to your historical analysis, only about race. You also say that in order for us to learn to avert pain happening in the ME, we must learn to solve pain in our community. The community in the squo may cause a little pain in my eyes, but if we were to have your interpretation Doc, I think you would cause infinitely more pain than the squo. That's a logical turn to your case sir, if you want to cache this in debate terms. What about those people who are poor? What about people who go through abuse and violence? All of those things aren't about race and through your paradigm, we wouldn't be able to look at those issues fairly because we will only look at solutions which restore equality to minorities based on the rhetoric of race. We won't look at how capitalism actually causes
 these things and we won't look at how the subjugation of Native Americans actually gave America the incentive to carry out more subjugation of others thoughout history, but through your interpretation, we will only look to things only in black and white, in the local, and we wouldn't get to learn about things outside the local, as picking topics in which we are NOT familiar does for us as people, extend my education analysis here.

This is why I'll probably reject the project for as long as I'm debating (don't get me wrong, when I'm a judge in this community someday, and if the project is still going on, I won't be inherently against it and I would vote for it if good arguments and analysis is made and if LU DEBATES their advocacy and defends it) because I think that what you're advocating won't be beneficial for the most people and that it will actually take away freedom to be.

I just want to reiterate Doc that debate was NEVER stolen from us. The only thing that happened was that Whites created their own style of debate that benefited them. Debate as a whole was never ours and unless you give me good evidence to the contrary, I will never compare this claim to the subjugation of Native Americans or anything else you will bring up. You analysis just only PROVES that our great people, Malcolm, etc. just did their own thing and then engaged whited in their system, and then kicked their white asses!!! because they made excellent, provocative, creative arguments. I realize our history was fucked up, and I think you're very credible on most parts, but on the debate part, I think you're very wrong on the history. And debate should be for everyone, not an entity which holds a monolithic interpretation over how people should construct their ideas. And I think the squo does adequate in that regard, and I hope my analysis proves that.
 ANY MINORITY IN THE SQUO HAS THE POTENTIAL TO DO WELL AND PERSUADE A LOT OF PEOPLE, INCLUDING YOUR DEBATERS, and you know this out of all people and I know this through recent history, you just have to defend your stuff and debate. And again this is proven through many of rounds.........UMKC Dancing......OU's "Fox News Exclusive K" last year with Cleary/Johnson..........CSU Fullerton's current K of how things are conceived of in debate........OU BS's "Fuck da System" last year.......again, many examples of minorities (race or the way they argue)  being heard and persuasive.

I just hope you don't view me as a sellout of African Americans or anything, but this is what I believe debate to be in the squo, and I hope my analysis and examples were sufficient for you. If there's any holes in my argument, then don't hesitate to respond and we'll have a dialogue.

With much love and peace.......
DM