[eDebate] LD, etc.--the Diet Coke challenge

Kuswa, Kevin kkuswa
Thu Nov 22 07:14:03 CST 2007

turkeys.

________________________________

From: edebate-bounces at ndtceda.com on behalf of NEIL BERCH
Sent: Thu 11/22/2007 2:59 AM
To: edebate
Subject: [eDebate] LD, etc.--the Diet Coke challenge

In order to better understand the claims made by Chief, I just spent 2 hours looking up every team that has won a novice division so far this year (note:  this doesn't include tournaments where Jon doesn't have results up yet, and it excludes the Frederick Douglass, which was closed out at quarters, as well as Pepperdine, which has no elim results posted, and Santa Rosa, which was quite small and closed out).  Counting a closeout at West Point (and not double-counting two teams that have each won two novice divisions), there are 12 teams to examine (including 3 from ADA tournaments).  For each of them, I looked them up in two ways.  I checked to see whether either team member debated college policy debate last year for the same school (using Bruschke page data), and I checked to see whether either team member was listed on the NFL's points page (with their high school record).  Below, I report my findings.  The list is of those twelve teams, referred to as teams A through L.  I have randomized the order and have no interest in identifying the teams (and some interest in not doing so).  Two observations:

1.  No team has won a novice division this year (with the caveats expressed above) without having some prior debate experience.
2.  I'm not whether my data serve to support Chief's proposal or not.  The heterogeneity of previous debate experience leave open to conjecture (and I'll leave it to others to do the conjecturing for now) what sort of world would exist post-amendment.

On to the data:
Team A:  one person with 11 rounds of college policy last year, one with no experience.
Team B:  one person with 35 rounds of HS LD, 6 rounds of HS policy, and 13 rounds of HS Public Forum; the other with no experience.
Team C:  one person with a ton of HS Student Congress experience; one with no experience.
Team D:  one person with HS IE experience and 19 rounds of college policy last year; one person with 25 rounds of college policy last year (but never cleared).
Team E:  one person with 143 rounds of HS LD; one person with 24 rounds of HS LD.
Team F:  one person with 37 rounds of HS LD and 108 rounds of HS Public Forum; one with no experience.
Team G:  one person with 13 rounds of college policy last year; the other with no experience.
Team H:  one person with 23 rounds of HS LD; the other with no experience.
Team I:  one person with 11 rounds of college policy last year; the other with 147 rounds of HS LD.
Team J:  one person with 23 rounds of college policy last year, 4 rounds of HS policy, and 120 rounds of HS LD; the other person with 46 rounds of HS policy.
Team K:  one person with 163 rounds of HS LD; the other person with 116 rounds of HS LD and 28 rounds of HS Public Forum.
Team L:  one person with 14 rounds of college policy last year; one person with HS IE experience.

--Neil Berch
West Virginia University