[eDebate] Winning debates versus finding truth

Ede Warner ewarner
Thu Nov 22 21:14:01 CST 2007

Desmond,

Enjoying the conversation.  You are more than a worthy adversary.  Much respect!

But you are dealing with an elder! :-)  Anyway, back to the discussion...Oh, wait that is the discussion.  You have learned all the standard ways to engage a Louisville debate.  I have no doubts that you would fare successful in competition against many of our teams.  But the end goal here is not competition, it is a search for the truth.  And that is perhaps where the training of a Louisville debater separates itself from the rest of the community.  The question is of what value is each type of training.  I believe that training to win a debate is a very different approach then using debate as a method to effectively solve problems.  And as awesome as your competitive strategies are, there is something to be said for solving problems.  Now back to the debate proper.
The privilege discussions.  The question becomes, what is the purpose of them?  In my case, the purpose was to create an understanding that I had the power to change debate, using my rewards and benefits from my position of authority to create opportunities in debate for a different population of folks.  My choice to discuss privilege is proactive, because the goal is to justify a framework to frame the question of do we have the power to change debate.  Now your story, while passionate and emotionally compelling, is being used for a different purpose.  It's a reactive discussion to generate "defense" against my story.  Then from there, it attempts to generate offense for using your blessings as proof that acting outside the debate community is more important than acting within the community.

Two problems: The first is knowing where the debate is at:  it's not about the magnitude of our respective blessings, it's about the policies that those blessing lead us to.  So while I can never, nor would I enagage your blessings or the things you are thankful for, other than to show some empathy for the life you've led and respect for what you've overcome (all more powerful than anything I talked about), the question is what policies we generate and why we generate those policies.  My policy has quantifiable solvency mechanisms and clear empirical evidence, including  specific numbers of students assisted.  Your policy derived from your privilege discussion is vague and not quantified.  In fact, it is unclear how you can assess your work outside the community.  For me, my discussion of privilege leads me to a concrete policy initiative that has been my goal for 7 years and my policy proposal can be measures, critically assessed, and evaluated.

On the other hand, your policy discussion seems to imply without a warrant, that it is better than mine (working outside debate more important than changing debate), when we both know that these aren't mutually exclusive (why can't you do both), and in fact, we should do both.  Moreover, your policy option resulting from your privilege discussion lacks assessment and standards of evaluation.  Why?  Because the debate community has trained students to use their privilege discussion to divert the policy discussion.  Throw in a strong story of my oppression and then you can move towards any types of solutions.  No one can challenge your story, so consequently no one can challenge the effectiveness of your solution.  But of course, that's not true.  Yours is an attempt to invoke emotion for your policy without any detailed policy outcomes or assessment.  Once again, we are in the house of the conservative right.  This is Bush's strategy for getting his agenda passed, and ignores how to make productive changes.  But that is how teams have been taught to engage Louisville.  Why?  Because they lack any concrete policy development of their own, so skirting the policy discussion by "any means necessary" becomes the strategy.  But that only works against young teams who lack experience in the method, or in front of judge's who run from the policy discussion and justify running by saying, "I can't evaluate the sincerity of these stories".  True, but you can evaluate the policy outcomes produced from them.  The reality is that Louisville wins many of those debates if the criteria is success of Blacks in intercollegiate debate by most quantifiable measures.  Certainly, there are some exceptions, right?

Next, you make the claim that Black power can induce change without using debate to their advantage.  Most certainly you are correct again, as hip hop started down that road but lost it's way.  And I agree that many, many, many approaches exist to improve the Black condition, and that can be done without debate.  Again, two problems:  First, you are again making non-competitive arguments-because Blacks can make changes outside the system, doesn't address the question of whether Blacks should utilize the vehicle of debate as an agent of change.  In fact, your argument is non-responsive to the question again.  You make assertions that outside is better, but what is the evidence for those claims?  You see the debate community was very receptive to those types of claims, why?  Because the community had no answer either, but they did have a desire to win debates.

But their is a much, much bigger implication to deciding that Blacks shouldn't use debate in the exact same ways that Malcolm did: as a method for testing one's ideas and methods.  Again, I use what I learned in policy debate to create a research question (a resolution); to interrogate my topic; to decide what course of action to take, and how to assess the effectiveness of my policy choices.  But in your explanation of your outside activities, there is no understanding of how effective your policies will be and what relationship your outside policies to help Blacks will be based on anything you learned in policy debate.  For Malcolm, everything was connected: his purpose for debate, was connected with how he debated, what policies he advocated, and how he assessed his choices.  The broader debate community is willing to generally forego that self-reflection when discussing outside activism, especially with regards to Black participation: again why?  Because the purpose of their activism was reactive: a response to the Louisville strategy to win a debate.  So their policy choices had little structure, little quantifiable outcomes, and little assessment.  Proof:  four to five years ago, every team in the nation had a strategy challenging our methods to increase Black participation.  The question four years later: what have those policies produced, how have they been assessed, and what changes were made by those advocates when those policies failed?  You see Desmond, the Louisville method requires assuming responsibility for a problem and following through on that policy until effective solutions are formed, including a march of evolutions necessary to get the type of change needed.

Your attempts at changing the world, already divorced from your policy debate training, are already set up for failure.  The fact that you can't see the connection in your advocacy, makes it unlikely that you will see those connections as you move forward.  Your example offers all the proof I need.  I hope you take this the right way, but I have a lot more faith that a Louisville debater or judge is better prepared to destroy the capitalist system than you are: and I say that not as a personal attack, but an institutional challenge to the way the system trained you.

Why?  We'll your call to challenge capitalism is once again outside the activity.  Your reading of debate in worlds outside of debate, allow you to see a system of capitalism operating outside of debate, where you should unconditional love to the people and to the system which trained you.  Now the question of how race interacts with class aside, your decision to see capitalism outside debate, means that you choose, for whatever reason, not to see capitalism in debate.  You ignore the many economic privilege arguments I've made about debate.  You ignore how the process of having the most tubs, having the most arguments, and having maximum individual choice in picking arguments, are all capitalist structures, living and breathing in debate.  My debaters are trained to look for how the theories they read about, or even those they know nothing about but are brought to them in a debate round, exist in places staring them in the face.  They engage in policy debate starting from themselves and those around the community they participate, in the same way Malcolm did.  Consequently, they have a better chance of producing solutions that see the entirety of the problem, which often includes our own behaviors, and not just the behaviors of "others" somewhere else far away.

They have to take their theories of the debate community, and engage other minority interests, which often requires difficult negotiation and critical reflection on how their policy advocacy affects others, because it's not far away, but it's right in their face.  So by putting theories they read about into actual practice, and subjecting them to evaluation by judges and assessment, they can learn a process for fixing problems that debate just doesn't currently teach.  And that process is important, more important winning debates.  And that means that whatever power you leave debate with, is less than it could be, and perhaps helps to explain the void of Black leadership today from yesteryear.

Finally, you keep saying that I'm questioning the judge's you believe are objective.  It's not a question of objectivity, in the sense of winning, again what seems to be your focus.  It's objectivity as a result of training, and whether they can solve problems in front of them in the ways we try to train our debaters too.  The "Take it to the Streets" initiative happened, and people made choices, and my assessment is what happened.  That's not a personal attack, it is more constructive criticism attempting to show why policy debate needs to reexamine some of the claims you speak so unconditional of.  Self-examination is not a bad thing, so I'm unsure why you believe that criticism of the community's actions is so wrong?  If a community that teaches critical thinking, can't be engaged with critical thought about it's practices, were does that leave it?  Above question or just above question when conclusions disagree?

All of this is so much more than race, that's just my story to explore my struggle.  It's about effective decision making versus winning.  It's about giving every one the same type of problem, with the same type of challenge to overcome it.  It's about recognition that right now we play a game to win, but instead we could engage in a competition that furthers our collective decision making skills more directly.  I'm going to stop now Desmond.  More on Monday.