[eDebate] UNLV Tournament update

Jacob.Thompson at unlv.edu Jacob.Thompson
Tue Oct 2 16:27:11 CDT 2007

We are up to 57 entries in open, 20 in JV, and 10 in novice... Not a bad
start for a tournament in it's first year.  We are committed to giving our
guests the best possible tournament experience.  If you have any questions
or concerns, please let me know.  Here are some important tournament
updates that you should probably read carefully.

1) Food:  Prepare yourselves for gluttony... We will be feeding you Big
Mama's & Papa's Pizza and some AMAZING barbeque for lunch, we'll have
bagels and crispy cremes, and fresh coffee for breakfast,

2) Weather: Surprise--It's amazing in Vegas this time of year!  Sunny,
highs in the mid to upper 70's during the day and lows in the mid 50s at
night.

3) Stuff you need to do:

        A) Finalize your entries and judgin info on debateresults.  Please
do this by noon on Weds.  Once that time passes I will "turn off" entries
and enable prefs.  I'll send out one last email to notify folks that prefs
are enabled.

        B) tell us if you need a parking pass for Monday.  Do so by
emailing battocle at unlv.nevada.edu.  We will not be able to help you If we
do not receive your request by noon on Weds... so far we have the
following requests:

arizona state-2 permits
augustana-1 permit
cal poly-1 permit
denver-1 permit
florida-1 permit
idaho st-3 permits
jccc-1 permit
kansas (u)-1 permit
kansas st-1 permit
macalester-1 permit
redlands-2 permits
san fran st-1 permit
usc-3 permits
vermont-1 permit
wichita st-1 permit

        C) If you want to participate in the private poker tournament on
Monday evening at the Monte Carlo, please email eckstei5 at unlv.nevada.edu.
Right now we have some entries, but I don't have the list handy, so if you
haven't registered please do so by Weds at noon.

4) Entertainment & registration:  Registration will occur from 6-9 p.m. in
the Zeus Ballroom at the Alexis Park.  We'll tap the [free to you all] keg
at 8:30 p.m. and Elvis goes on stage at 9 p.m. sharp.  You should
definitely be there to see Elvis, and drinking free beer is always fun.

5) Internet:  The Zeus ballroom at the hotel will serve as the
[FREE]central research site--they have 2 wireless servers in that room and
numerous power strips... this is the only economical way that I could
procure free wireless for the entire tournament at the hotel.  If you want
wireless in your hotel room you will have to pay for it.  I believe that
having wireless in a centralized location should work well though... no
bed to steal you away from cutting updates, no sportscenter to distract
you from work, etc.  On campus we have a wireless network set up username
- Debate Forum Guest, password - dfb2007.  We hope for the best with this
campus wireless network...

We look forward to seeing all of our friends this coming weekend.  Have a
safe trip.

Jake

Dr. Jacob Thompson, Ph.D.
Director, Sanford I. Berman Debate Forum
Assistant Professor In Residence
Greenspun College of Urban Affairs
Department of Communication Studies
University of Nevada, Las Vegas