[eDebate] CEDA Summer/Topic Mtg. and CEDA NATS 2009

Darren Elliott delliott
Wed Oct 3 14:59:50 CDT 2007

The deadline for priority bid consideration for the CEDA Summer Mtg. has
passed.  The deadline was Oct. 1st.  The deadline for priority
consideration for the 2009 CEDA Nats is November 1st.  At this point I
have no concrete bids for either.  I will extend the Summer Bid until
October 15th.  At that time, if no bid is submitted, I will accept my
own bid to host the summer/topic meeting here in Kansas City.  I put
this bid on the back burner when many had come forward with an interest
to host.  I fully understand if others cannot, and am glad to host here
in KC again.  Some of you at this past summer meeting expressed interest
in returning to KC and I am glad to oblige should no other bids come
forward.  I have re-posted the original bid calls below for both the
Summer Mtg. and CEDA Nats 2009.

The Nov. 1st deadline for CEDA Nats 2009 is also a priority date so
discussions can be had at NCA in November.  Please, if you are
considering CEDA for 2009, let me know.  Otherwise I am calling dibs on
Wichita State again!  : )

chief

Darren Elliott
Director of Debate and Forensics--KCKCC
CEDA 1st VP

CEDA SUMMER MTG. BID CALL:
To the CEDA/NDT Debate Community:

On behalf of the Cross-Examination Debate Association I would like to
invite interested parties, individuals, and Colleges and Universities to
submit a bid to host the 2008 CEDA Summer Meeting and Topic Committee
Meeting. Below is a list of what should be included in your bid.
Priority for bids will be October 1st, 2007. I would like to be able to
announce our site at the NCA CEDA Business Meeting in Chicago in
November 2007.

A completed bid should include:

1. A list of hosting dates (Typically the meeting is 2 and ? days for
the Topic Meeting and 2 and ? days for the CEDA Summer Meeting. This
past year for example the CEDA Summer Meeting was Sat.-Sun.-Mon. morning
and the Topic Committee met Mon. afternoon, Tuesday and Wednesday). The
meeting typically is during the end of May or beginning weeks of June.

2. You should include a secured rate from a hotel that is a reasonable
distance from the meeting site. The hotel should at a minimum offer
Internet to its guests (ideally without an additional cost). The bid
should include the name of the property, address, local contact person,
and rate guarantee for the time of the stay. The rate should be
negotiated for all nights of the proposed dates as well as one day prior
to the meetings for early arrival.

3. The bid should include a description of the meeting space you will
provide for the time we are in session. The meeting space should provide
ample room for the Executive Council and the Topic Committee with
additional room for observer-participants. The bid should indicate room
setup, occupancy, and internet connections. Internet connectivity is a
must for all members of the Topic Committee and the Executive Council.

4. Since the 2006 meeting in Kansas City, the community has benefited
greatly from the ability to have the meetings web cast. If you are
submitting a bid please check with the appropriate sources on your
campus or locale and include in the bid whether or not you will be able
to web cast both the CEDA Summer Meeting and the Topic Committee
Meeting. If you are able to provide this service, please include in your
bid the contact person who will be in charge of the web cast, what
institutional support you will have and what capacity you have to
provide this service.

5. Airport and Shuttle Service: The bid should include all relevant
airport information. Include the airport(s) people should fly into. It
would be helpful to include current and summer rates from both coasts
and the Midwest. While it would not prevent you from being the host, I
will lean strongly towards bids where the host is in a city with a major
airport. If the host site and hotel is not in a city with a major
airport, you should include shuttle services you can provide to and from
the airport. Shuttle service available between the hotel and host site
a major provider at the airport, please include that as well.

6. The bid should include any amenities you or your institution will
provide. Those can include coffee, soda, breakfast items, snacks, etc.
during the meetings.

7. Feel free to include relevant dining and entertainment options near
the site for the meetings. In the evenings, the Topic Committee and the
Executive Council will have time to socialize, so take the opportunity
to ?sell? your location.

CEDA NATS BID CALL:
To the CEDA/NDT Debate Community:

On behalf of the Cross-Examination Debate Association I would like to
invite interested parties, individuals, and Colleges and Universities to
submit a bid to host the 2009 CEDA National Tournament. Below is a list
of what should be included in your bid. Priority will be given to bids
submitted to me no later than November 1st, 2007. I would like to be
able to announce potential sites at the NCA CEDA Business Meeting in
Chicago in November 2007, and have the host determined by CEDA Nationals
at Wichita State in March 2008. Incomplete bids are acceptable on the
Nov. 1st deadline.

A completed bid should include:

1. Proposed dates for the National Tournament. For many of you, your
campus spring break will determine your availability. Preference will be
given to bids that do not overlap other Policy National Tournaments. The
first 2 weekends in March tend to be reserved for the JV National
Tournaments and the ADA National Tournament. The 2nd full week of April
is reserved for the Phi Rho Pi National Tournament. Those submitting
bids should be aware of those conflicts and try to schedule in mid to
late March. If you have flexible dates please include all possible
scenarios. Be sure to include both the dates and days to serve as a
double check. The tournament will typically follow the following pattern
with some potential changes:
Day 1*Meetings, Registration and Opening Ceremonies
Day 2*Competition Rounds 1-4
Day 3*Competition Rounds 5-8
Day 4*Competition Elims 1-2 or 1-3 and Awards Assembly
Day 5*Competition Elims through Finals

Please note that extra space will be needed for Day 1 Meetings,
Registration, and Opening Ceremonies (Can occur at host hotel if space
is available) and Day 4 Awards Assembly (Ideally in a campus performance
center). The space for both of these time slots needs to accommodate
500+ people. The bid should also include the capacity of the rooms
dedicated to elims. There should also be a room large enough to hold the
CEDA Business Meeting, typically on the morning of Day 4.

2. The bid should include the number of classrooms that have been
dedicated to the National Tournament. They should be within walking
distance of each other and within walking distance of the tab room and
central tournament administration. A bid that can provide upwards of 125
classrooms will be preferred. The bid should include a space for
tournament administration with separate rooms for the computer and
tournament administration, ballot checking, etc.

3. The bid should include dining options on and around the campus. If
on-campus dining is available during the tournament, it would be ideal
to include such a commitment from the appropriate people on your campus,
as many dining options on campuses will close during breaks and
weekends. A list of close off-campus options for dining should be
included.

4. The bid should include a host hotel with ample guest rooms to house a
tournament of 200 teams, coaches, and judges. The hotel bid should
include:
A. Number of guest rooms with a breakdown of Doubles, Kings, smoking and
non-smoking.
B. The host hotel should guarantee a rate that is affordable and
available for the duration of the tournament, including a day prior to
majority arrival. The rate should be listed included with the bid.
C. What meeting space is available and at what cost if any.
D. Number of Suites available for tab room personnel and the comp ratio.

E. A catering menu with costs for the openinG. Availability of internet access at the hotel and any costs associated
with it.
H. Name of the contact person at the host hotel.
I. A list of overflow hotels and secured rates at those hotels.

The tournament site committee, overseen by myself, may want to have the
opportunity to meet with the hotel staff possibly during a site visit
and work on the hotel contract prior to it being signed. The above
information will be very valuable to the decision making.

5. The bid should include a list of amenities you and the host school
will provide. This list is not exhaustive nor is everything on the list
required. These are some things to consider however and ask your
administration for if you would like to:
A. Number of students or workers to help with ballot running, copying,
etc. Will they be debaters or from a class?
B. Copy Machine(s). This is required. A high output machine for pairing
distribution that can be housed where central administration is becomes
a necessity. Having 2 copy machines for the Final Round would be ideal
as well but not required. Copy paper and supplies to make folders for
ballots is also a necessity.
C. Walkie-Talkies. These are a necessity for ballot runners and
tournament staff to be able to communicate with one another.
D. Internet Connectivity on campus. If provided, how will it be
accessed?
E. Breakfast Items. Bids that can reduce the cost to the organization by
providing breakfast (donuts, bagels, fruit, coffee, juice) will be
preferred.
F. Other amenities. While certainly not necessary, if your University
wants to kick in any extra amenities, pick up or defray costs, etc. it
is certainly welcome. OU went above and beyond the call by providing
timers, t-shirts, and paying for the trophies. While this is not
necessary it may be a selling point to your administration to let them
know you are competing for the National Tournament and asking them to
match or do better than previous hosts. Administrators often are
competitive themselves.
G. Ability to web cast elim rounds, especially the Final Round. If you
have someone on your campus who can do this, please have them commit to
the project and include their contact information in the bid.

6. Airport and Shuttle Service: The bid should include all relevant
airport information. Include the airport(s) people should fly into. It
would be helpful to include current and spring rates from both coasts
and the Midwest. While it would not prevent you from being the host, I
will lean strongly towards bids where the host is in a city with a major
airport. If the host site and hotel is not in a city with a major
airport, you should include shuttle services you can provide to and from
the airport. Shuttle service available between the hotel and host site
should also be included in the bid. If you can secure shuttle rates from
a major provider at the airport, please include that as well.

7. If all of this seems too daunting of a task, do not let it prevent
you from submitting a bid if you are interested. I have worked on many
bid proposals, dealt with many hotel contracts, and have hosted the
largest intercollegiate debate and forensics tournament in the country.
I will be glad to assist you if you are interested. I want to provide
one of the best CEDA tournament experiences ever!