[eDebate] reply to Scott elliot (and his apology to Darren)

Jacob.Thompson at unlv.edu Jacob.Thompson
Wed Oct 3 16:18:01 CDT 2007

I would like to respectfully point out a different take on this topic and
my personal (and my team's) experience with it.  Although I am not
questioning Scott's personal experience with the topic, mine has been
quite different.

I run a new program and have a dozen new debaters--next year I'll probably
have a total of 20 debaters.  We have a very good mix of students with
lots of experience, some experience, and absolutely no experience in
policy debate.  All of the debaters, the assistant coaches, and I love
this topic.  The research is interesting, there is a good aff/neg balance,
and it's not too big.  I don't personally feel that this topic has created
any barriers to participation on my team, even for younger folks without
previous policy debate experience.

Jake

Dr. Jacob Thompson, Ph.D.
Director, Sanford I. Berman Debate Forum
Assistant Professor In Residence
Greenspun College of Urban Affairs
Department of Communication Studies
University of Nevada, Las Vegas