[eDebate] Harvard Tournament Menu

Sherry Hall shahall
Wed Oct 10 11:59:53 CDT 2007

I am very excited about this year's menu at Harvard.  Since we can't all travel to the topic countries, I am hoping to bring a little bit of the people and the cultures of those countries to you.  Through my travels around the world, I feel that you can learn a lot about people and make a connection to their culture, by experiencing their food.  I am also somewhat apprehensive about this year's fare, given that I am breaking the cardinal rule of catering to not serve food to a crowd that you have never made before.  Many of the dishes will be as new to me as they are to you.  Most of you will already be familiar with at least some of them.  I am enjoying the process of learning about the cuisine of the region, and hope that you will enjoy the final product as well.

Harvard Tournament Menu

Saturday, October 27

Breakfast:

Bagels, Pumpkin Bread, Fruit, Coffee and Fruit Juice

Lunch:

Salad -

Classic Greek Salad with Feta Cheese, Olives, and Red Wine Vinaigrette

Soups -

Avgolemono Chicken, Rice and Lemon Soup, Greece

                Mashawa Lentil Soup, Afghanistan (Vegan)

Apps -

Tabbouleh  Cracked Wheat and Herbs, Lebanon (Vegan)

                Zeytinyagli Yaprak Stuffed Grape Leaves with Rice, Currant & Pine Nuts, Turkey (Vegan)

                Muhammara Red Pepper and Walnut Dip, Syria (Vegan)

                Cacik Cucumber and Yogurt Dip, Greece and Turkey

                Shelada Suk su be Matasha W'Ifalfla Khadra Couscous and Tomato Salad, Morocco (Vegan)

                Zartoun Bel' Hamed M'Raked Cracked Olives with Garlic & Preserved Lemon, Regional (Vegan)

                Aj huk al-qara Spicy Pumpkin Compote, Tunisia (Vegan)

Entrees-

                Morasah-Polow "Jeweled Rice" Chicken and Rice Casserole, Iran

                Musaka'a Eggplant, Tomato and Chickpea Casserole, Palestine (Vegan)

                Musakhkhan Pita Wrapped Chicken and Onion Casserole, Palestine

                Moussaka Classic Eggplant and Lamb Casserole, Greece

                Stifado Beef Stew with Tomatoes & Onions, Greece

Sides-

                M'judra Baydo Lentils and Rice Pilaf, Lebanon (Vegan)

                Kaddo Bowrani Broiled Pumpkin with Yogurt Sauce, Afghanistan

                Naaz Khaatoon Eggplants and Tomatoes, Iran (Vegan)

                Hummus bi'l-hamad muraqqad Chickpeas with Preserved Lemon, Morocco (Vegan)

                Bamja Bi Banadoura Okra with Tomatoes, Onions & Cilantro, Regional (Vegan)

                Toasted Pita Triangles

Dessert -

                Baklava Crispy Phyllo Dough with Nuts in a Rose-Water Syrup, Regional

Sunday October 28

Breakfast:

Bagels, Pumpkin Bread, Fruit, Coffee and Fruit Juice

Lunch:

Salad -

                Chickpeas & Hazelnuts with Peppers, Madrid (Vegan)

                Carrot and Orange Salad, Tunisia and Morocco (Vegan)

                Lubya musalat bi'l-zayt Black-eyed Pea Salad, Lebanon (Vegan)

                Adas bi'l-hamid Lentils with Pomegranate, Garlic and Cilantro, Syria (Vegan)

                Fasolakia Salata Green Bean Salad with Lemon and Dill, Greece (Vegan)

                Shelada Bel Matesha, Basslaw'L'Hamed - Tomato, Onion & Preserved Lemon, Morocco (Vegan)

Entrees-

                Roasted Swordfish/Hummos Rollups with Tahini Sauce, Regional

                Vegetarian Hummos Rollups with Tahini Sauce, Regional

                Italian Deli Sandwiches, Italy

Dessert -

                Butter Almond Cookies, Greece

Dinner/Party (At the Hotel after Round 8)

Assorted Mediterranean Dips and Pita Chips-

                Beyaz Penir Ezmesi Spicy Feta Cheese Dip, Turkey (Vegan)

                Baba Ghannouj Grilled Eggplant and Tahini Dip, Regional (Vegan)

                Hummos Chickpea and Tahini Dip, Regional (Vegan)

                Qara bi'l-thaini Pumpkin and Tahini Dip, Lebanon, Syria & Palestine (Vegan)

                Bisara Fava Bean Dip, Egypt (Vegan)

                Muhammara Red Pepper and Walnut Dip, Syria (Vegan)

Canapes-

                Caprese Fresh Mozarella Stuffed Tomatoes, Italy

                Labna Rolled Yogurt Balls, Syria & Lebanon

                Kolokithakia Yemista Stuffed Zucchini, Greece (Vegan)

                Mucver Fried Pumpkin, Onion and Dill Pancakes, Turkey (Vegan)

                Apricot Coins with Goat Cheese and Candied Walnut, Turkey

Cheese and Fruit Tray representing Middle Eastern Cheeses

Vegetable Crudite with Dip

Entrees -

                Roasted Turkey & Beef Round Carving Station

                Whole Smoked Salmon with Sour Cream Dill Sauce

                Grilled Vegetables

                Pasta with Tomato Sauce or Alfredo Sauce

Desserts - Cookies and Fruit