[eDebate] Coaching Award to Louie Petit

Darren Elliott delliott
Sun Oct 14 17:26:42 CDT 2007

We have given this year's coaches award at our tournament to Louie Petit of Missouri State University.  What follows are the remarks made at the awards ceremony in presenting the award.  Congrats Louie!!

---
THE COACHES AWARD WAS IMPLEMENTED 4 YEARS AGO TO RECOGNIZE THE VALUABLE ROLE COACHES, ESPECIALLY ASST. COACHES, PLAY IN OUR ACTIVITY.  WITHOUT ASST. COACHES MOST OF OUR PROGRAMS WOULD NOT BE AS NEARLY SUCCESSFUL AS THEY ARE.

PREVIOUS RECIPIENTS WERE HEATHER WALTERS OF Missouri State, JAMES TAYLOR of Emporia State, MATT MOORE of Augustana College, AND JASON RUSSELL of the University of Oklahoma.

THIS YEAR?S RECIPIENT I HAVE KNOWN FOR MANY YEARS.  HIS IS A SORDID TALE AND PART OF WHICH I WILL SHARE BRIEFLY.  THIS COACH WORKS AS HARD AS ANY ASST. COACH I HAVE EVER SEEN.  HIS ABILITY TO TAKE AN ASSIGNMENT AND TURN OUT A FILE IN RECORD TIME IS AMAZING.  HIS IDEAS ARE ALWAYS ON THE CUTTING EDGE, AND HIS ABILITY TO STRATEGIZE MAKES HIM ESPECIALLY VALUABLE.

I FIRST MET THIS COACH WHEN HE WAS A DEBATER AT A SMALL COLLEGE HERE IN THE KC METRO AREA.  HE WAS FROM A SMALL PROGRAM, WITH NO ENORMOUS COACHING OR FINANCIAL RESOURCES.  THEY DIDN?T HAVE A DOZEN CARD CUTTERS, OR THE ABILITY TO BRING IN HIRED GUNS.  IT IS HERE I ASSUME IS WHERE HE MADE HIS BEGINNING AT GETTING GOOD AT ALL THE ASPECTS OF DEBATE LARGELY ON HIS OWN.

WHILE I AM SURE HE CUT CARDS THEN, IT WAS NOT BEYOND HIM TO REINVENT DEBATE WITH SUCH ROUND WINNING ARGUMENTS AS SOLVENCY PRESSES, HARMS MITIGATORS, AND THE OCCASIONAL PMN.  HE ALSO WAS A FAN OF MAKING THE AFFIRMATIVE DEFINE ALL OF THE RESOLUTIONAL TERMS IN THE 1AC.  TO THIS DAY HE USES IT AS A STRATEGIC OPTION TO SLAY GIANTS.  ONCE SMALL SCHOOL, ALWAYS SMALL SCHOOL.  MY MOST VIVID MEMORY OF JUDGING THIS INDIVIDUAL WAS WHEN HE REACHED INTO HIS BAG OF ARGUMENTS AND PULLED OUT THE INHERENCY SHELL.  THE 1NC WAS INHERENCY AND YOU GOTTA BE ALL 3 TYPES.  YEAH WHO KNEW?  APPARENTLY THE AFF HAD OVERLOOKED ATTITUDINAL AND STRUCTURAL INHERENT BARRIERS.  THE SHELL WAS CRAFTED MARVELOUSLY.  A SOPHISTICATED AFFIRMATIVE STOOD UP IN THE 2AC AND SCOFFED AT THIS OUTDATED ARGUMENT?THEY LOOKED RIGHT AT ME AND SAID ?CHIEF THIS IS INHERENCY.  THIS IS A TERRIBLE ARGUMENT.  PLAN ISNT BEING DONE NOW SO WE HAVE INHERENCY.  THIS IS STUPID AND YOU WONT VOTE ON IT.?  THEY THEN MOVED ON.  THE PERSON RECEIVING TODAY?S AWARD HAD A GLIMMER IN HIS EYE ONCE THIS HAPPENED.  IT WAS LIKE OPENING PRESENTS ON CHRISTMAS MORNING TO THIS PERSON.  AFTER A DEVASTATING BLOCK AND 2NR IT WAS A NEG BALLOT ON INHERENCY.

ONCE THESE FINE DEBATE SKILLS HAD RUN THEIR COURSE, TODAYS RECIPIENT BEGAN HIS RUN AT COACHING.  HE HAS COACHED AS AN ASST. AT MANY SCHOOLS IN THE REGION.  ONE THING THAT WORRIES ME THOUGH IS HIS LEGACY.  A LEGACY IS WHAT YOU LEAVE BEHIND.  WELL HE BEGAN HIS CAREER AT WILLIAM JEWELL.  HE LEFT AND THEY SWITCHED TO PARLI.  HE THEN COACHED AT MISSOURI, GUIDING THE COMEBACK KID JAMES LAWSON TO A FINE FINAL, WHAT WAS IT 10TH YEAR OF DEBATING?  HE THEN LEFT MISSOURI.  NOW THEY DO PARLI.  I HOPE FOR ALL OF THE MISSOURI STATE DEBATERS, ONCE LOUIE LEAVES YOU, HIS LEGACY WILL NOT CONTINUE.

I CONSIDER MYSELF VERY LUCKY TO KNOW AND BE FRIENDS WITH THIS YEAR?S RECIPIENT.  WE HAVE WORKED AS LAB LEADING PARTNERS AT THE KU HIGH SCHOOL CAMP FOR THE LAST 2 YEARS AND THE EXPERIENCE HAS BEEN WONDERFUL.  HE GOT ME HOOKED ON MY DRUG OF CHOICE?SUGAR FREE ENERGY DRINKS.  NO IDEA HOW I LASTED BEFORE THEM.  HE IS GREAT TO WORK WITH AND I KNOW THE DEBATERS HE COACHES ARE VERY FORTUNATE TO WORK WITH HIM.  HIS TASTE IN BBQ IS AWESOME, HIS TASTE IN BASEBALL TEAMS SUPERB, AND IF YOU HAVE NEVER MET HIS MOM, YOU ARE MISSING OUT ON ONE OF THE BEST THINGS ABOUT HIM!

IT IS OUR PLEASURE TO GIVE THIS YEARS ASST. COACHES AWARD TO LOUIE PETIT OF MISSOURI STATE UNIVERSITY.