[eDebate] Wayne State Motor City Updates

Kelly Young kel1773
Wed Oct 17 11:46:34 CDT 2007

Greetings,

A few notes about the tournament at this point.

ENTRIES:
19 Open
7 JV
9 Novice

We will be entering some teams to even out divisions, if we can. I'm fairly certain that we will have a JV and open team. Unsure if we will have a novice.

***ENTRIES ARE NOW CLOSED ON THE DEBATERESULTS PAGE. SEND ANY ADDITIONAL CHANGES TO ME AT KEL1773 at MSN.COM***

DIVISIONS INFO:
JV and Novice: Unless we lose a couple teams, the division should now make, but only for 6 rounds. As usual, the judge pool seems tight, so we will hold outrounds for JV and Novice on Monday along with Open outrounds. We encourage JV and novices to watch open rounds during Rounds 7 and 8.

PREF SHEETS: Will hand them out at registration. You can check Debateresults.com for list of judges and philosophies. We might be entering some WSU alum as judges into the pool (e.g., Mike "Shooter" Wietz, Jay Johnson, DM Boykin--people we have taken on the road with us in the past and fairly recent debaters). We can explain their philosophies/judging at registration.

WEATHER:
Friday: possible showers, hi mid 60s, low mid 50s. Sat: Showers, Mid 60s hi, mid 50s low. Sund: Sunny, low 70s hi, mid 50s low. Mon: Cloudy, hi 60s, upper 40s the low. Then again, this is Michigan and the common saying is, "If you don't like the weather, just wait a minute because it will probably change"....

D5 Meeting?!?!? Have not discussed this with Ron or Will, but our judging needs will be less in Rounds 7 & 8 without JV, so we might be able to tinker with judging to host a district meeting during that round.

CONSTRUCTION/TRAVEL: The State of Michigan loves to ring in the Fall with tons and tons of road construction. The tournament hotel and campus are both located off of I-94. Unfortunately, I-94 has pockets of construction all along it that reduce 4 lanes of interstate into 2--fun times, fun times indeed. Please be prepared for delays, especially on Friday and Monday.

Kelly

Kelly M. Young, Ph.D.
Director of Forensics/
Assistant Professor