[eDebate] Southern Methodist Dir. of Forensics Ad

Wed Oct 17 16:56:56 CDT 2007

Southern Methodist University
Director of Forensics and Debate
Position # 051646

The Division of Corporate Communications and Public Affairs (CCPA) at Southern
Methodist University (SMU) invites nominations and applications for a
communication scholar/practitioner to develop and direct a Forensics and Debate
program. We welcome candidates from all backgrounds interested in working in an
exciting interdisciplinary program that integrates communication theory and
practice in innovative and provocative ways. Located in the Meadows School of
the Arts, the Division offers opportunities for interaction and collaboration
with colleagues in the fine and performing arts, as well as our related
divisions of advertising, journalism, and cinema and television. The candidate
selected will have numerous opportunities to work in an increasingly diverse
and globally connected community at the university and in Dallas/Forth Worth.

Minimum Qualifications: Applications must have a Ph.D. or equivalent terminal
degree, with a record of successful national level coaching experience in
debate and individual events and teaching experience in the area of rhetoric,
persuasion, public communication, argumentation and advocacy, and/or
critical/cultural studies.

Preferred Qualifications. We seek an emerging or established teacher/scholar
whose record reflects an appreciation of methodological and theoretical
diversity within the field of communication, a commitment to interdisciplinary
and interdivisional collaboration, the ability to develop and nurture a
nationally competitive forensics program, and a willingness to mentor students
in our Mock Trial program.

Application
Send letter of cover letter of application highlighting qualifications, complete
curriculum vitae, evidence of teaching effectiveness, and three letters of
recommendation to:

Dr. Mark Lawrence McPhail, Search Committee Chair
Corporate Communications and Public Affairs
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University
PO Box 750113
Dallas, TX 75275-0113

ccpa at smu.edu
214-768-1574 (coordinator, Becky Hewitt)

To ensure full consideration for the position, the application must be
postmarked by January 1, 2008; the committee will continue to accept
applications until the position is filled. The committee will notify applicants
of its employment decision at the completion of the search. Position begins
August 2008. We encourage electronic applications.

The Division of Corporate Communications and Public Affairs (CCPA)
The Division of Corporate Communications and Public Affairs (CCPA) currently
serves approximately 200 undergraduate majors and minors, and offers courses in
public and professional communication that prepare students for work in politics
and industry, not-for-profit organizations, and graduate education. The Division
is committed to developing a nationally competitive forensics and debate
program, and enhancing support for Southern Methodist University's existing
Mock Trial program, which is located in CCPA. We are committed to developing a
competitive undergraduate forensics program and a graduate program in public
and professional communication.

SMU
SMU is an inclusive and intellectually vibrant community of teachers and
scholars that values diverse research and creative agendas. SMU offers
excellent benefits including full same-sex domestic partner benefits. Explore
Virtual SMU at http://www.smu.edu. Our beautifully shaded campus of
Georgian-Revival-inspired architecture is situated in the heart of Dallas.

ccpa at smu.edu
[...]

SMU will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national
origin, sex, age, disability, or veteran status. SMU is also committed to the
principle of nondiscrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.
Application Information
Apply for this Position through My HigherEdJobs Postal Address: Dr. Mark McPhail
Corporate Communications and Public Affairs
Southern Methodist University
PO Box 750113
Dallas, TX 75275-0113
Phone: 214-768-1574