[eDebate] Tournament Announcement-- University of North Texas: January 8-10, 2008

Brian Lain blain
Thu Oct 18 17:11:57 CDT 2007

Colleagues, Friends, Family,

First of all apologies for the delays in posting this.  A number of
factors made it a little bit more difficult than usual for us to make
sure both rooms on campus and rooms in the hotel would be available.
However, we are pleased to dispel any rumors about the 27th (I think)
William DeMougeot Debate Tournament which will be the first half of the
Texas Two-Step.  Attached and pasted please find the full invitation for
the tournament which will be held Jan 8-10, allowing for a day off
between UNT and the Fear and Loathing Tournament.

A blck of rooms has already been set up at the Radisson, (940-565-8499)
 and they are happy to take your reservations.  Be sure to have your
mind made up of which nights you will be moving to Dallas and keep that
im mind when making the reservation.  Last year a number of people
wanted to stay on the evening of our Elims day, but had not extended our
reservation that far.  Our Block will accommodate you if you wish to
stay that long, however, you need to be specific with the hotel staff.

We are very excited about everyone visiting Texas in January and
believe the change of dates should make things more accommodating for
our friends to join us.  We have plenty of competition space, plenty of
hotel space, and plenty of hospitality waiting for you.

 If nothing else, the change in dates means that this year we do not
share the tournament hotel with a Bible Group which will probably ease
the minds of many come Wednesday night (if none of us, then our friendly
security guard who visited us on the 8th floor).

Best,
-Brian

Dear Community:
The University of North Texas Debate Forum and the Department of
Communication Studies at UNT are pleased to invite you and your debate
teams to attend the annual William R. DeMougeot Debates on January 8-10,
2008. The tournament this year will include three divisions of debate on
the 2007-2008 CEDA/NDT topic, have quality preliminary rounds in Open,
Junior, and Novice divisions, and clear to an appropriate number of
elimination rounds for each division.
Preliminary rounds will be held at the University of North Texas. This
year our tournament hotel is the Radisson, (940-565-8499) which has
guaranteed us a special rate for participants in the tournament
($60.00). We strongly encourage you to stay at the tournament hotel as
registration, and all other extra-events will be held there.  You should
make reservations as soon as possible.

As our colleagues at the University of Texas at Dallas mentioned, this
tournament is held in conjunction with the ?Fear and Loathing in
Dallas? tournament in order to provide two opportunities for quality
competition in Texas? lovely January weather.  The UNT prelim debates
will be held January 8th  and 9th and we plan on having 7 preliminary
debates.  Participation in the DeMougeot debates is a prerequisite to
winning the coveted ?Texas Two-Step Award? given to the team with
the best prelim record at the two tournaments.

There is a full day off between the two Texas steps (January 511th).
This year we will host a coaches?? reception, breakfast and lunch
for participants, coaches, and judges on January 8th  and 9th , and
much, much more.  We hope you will consider joining us in January.

Sincerely,
Brian Lain, Director of Debate
Calum Matheson, Debate Coach
Jason Sykes, Assistant Coach
Emily Wachsman, Assistant Coach
The North Texas Debate Forum

2008 WILLIAM R. DEMOUGEOT DEBATES January 8-10, 2008
REGISTRATION: We will accept entries for the tournament through,
January 5, at 5:00 pm. We have enabled Bruschke?s entry system at
www.debateresults.com. If there are any problems, email me at
blain at unt.edu. Registration will take place at the tournament hotel
on Monday night.
DIVISIONS: We will have three divisions of debate at the tournament
this year. Open division is open to any undergraduate student with
eligibility. The Junior division and Novice divisions are open to anyone
who meets the CEDA eligibility standards for junior or novice
participation.
JUDGING: A qualified judge must be provided to cover your judging
commitments. Because we will have 7 rounds, one team requires four
rounds of judging, two teams require 7 rounds of judging.  There may be
some judges available for hire at the rate of $100/uncovered team, but
you should let us know well in advance if you need to hire judges.
Judging obligations extend through the first elimination round, or one
round beyond your team's elimination.
FORMAT AND RULES: We will use the 9-3-6 format, with ten minutes
preparation time per team in open and junior divisions. Rounds 1-2 will
be preset. The rest will be powered.  Debate teams consist of TWO
persons from the same school. Hybrid teams are acceptable, and may
advance to elimination rounds. In the event of illness a single debater
may debate 2 rounds alone but may not be allowed to clear based on the
tournament director?s discretion.  We will NOT break brackets in
elimination rounds.
FEES: Entry fees are $100/team for all divisions. This includes
trophies, tournament supply expenses, and hospitality. Please make
checks payable to ?North Texas Debate.?
HOUSING: We have reserved a block of rooms at the Radisson Hotel here
in Denton. This is Denton?s only 5 star hotel and they have guaranteed
us a rate of $60/night for most of the hotel?s quad rooms.  This hotel
is right across the street from campus and very close to many
fine-dining establishments.  This is where the pairings will be
released, and registration will take place. Please confirm your
reservation at the Radisson by calling (940-565-8499). Make sure to
mention University of North Texas Debate.
TRANSPORTATION: We are unable to provide shuttle service between the
tournament hotel and UNT during the tournament. Should you have
difficulty in arranging transportation, please contact us ahead of
time.
TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE (Tentative):
Monday, Jan 7th
6-9pm Registration Radisson Hotel

Tuesday, Jan 8th
7:00am Rounds 1 and 2 released at Radisson
7:30 Breakfast at the School

8:30am-10:30am- Round 1

10:30am-12:30pm-Round 2

12:30-1:30 Lunch (Provided)

2:00pm-4:00pm- Round 3

4:30pm Round 4 Pairings released

5:30pm-7:30pm  Round 4

Wednesday, Jan 9th
7:00am Round 5 released at Radisson
7:30 Breakfast at the School

8:00am-10:00am Round 5

10:30am Round 6 pairing released

11:30-1:30pm Round 6

1:30-2:30 Lunch (provided)

2:30-4:30pm Round 7, Quarterfinals (JV)

5:00pm Pairings for Partial Doubles released

6:00pm-8:00pm Partial Double-Octafinals

Thursday, Jan 10th
7:00am Elim Pairings released

8:00-10:00 Octafinals Open

Awards Assembly and Elim Pairings to follow
Other Elimination Rounds to follow

Friday Jan 11th
Registration for UT-D Tournament
Hotels in Denton (These are the prices they quoted me over the phone,
we do not have a contract with anyone other than the Radisson.)
Raddison: 2211 N I-35 E Denton (940) 565-8499 - $60.00 (quad) -
The Hampton Inn (940) 891-4900. $89.00 (quad)
Holiday Inn: 1500 Dallas Drive (940) 387-3511 - $79.00 (quad) -
La Quinta: 700 Ft. Worth Drive (940) 387-5840 - $71.99 (quad) -
Days Inn: I-35 East and Ft. Worth Drive (940) - 566-1990 $58.45 (quad)

Ramada: 820 S I-35 E Denton (940) 387-0591 - (quad) $80.00 (Friday and
Saturday) and $75.00  (Sunday)-
Best Western 2910 W. University Dr, (940) 591-7726 ($82.00) -
Clayton House Motel 1111 W. University Dr. (940) 382-9626 ($48.00) -
Comfort Suites 1100 N. I-35 (940) 898-8510 ($89.95) -
Howard Johnsons 3116 Bandera (940) 383-1681 ($49.95 ) -
 Royal Hotel 1210 N. I-35E (940) 383-2007 (50.00 ).

Assistant Professor of Communication
Director of Debate
University of North Texas
Box 305268