[eDebate] Pepperdine - News & Thanks

Gordon Stables stables
Sun Oct 21 12:28:56 CDT 2007

I suspect many of you noticed the fires in Malibu that have made the
national news. These fires closed the Pepperdine campus and ultimately
forced the cancellation of the entire day of elimination rounds. A variety
of factors, including the lack of access to rooms and a large percentage of
the teams' evidence made this decision necessary.

One other factor led to this decision and should be noted by the community.
Despite having their own residences evacuated and with an uncertain future
of when their campus will re-open Sara Stone-Watt, her staff and students,
were remarkable about still expressing a willingness to continue to host the
event. She told remarkable stories of their students calling this morning
and asking how they could continue to perform their tasks at the tournament.
All too often we forget that we are guests on each other's campuses and it
was a morning like this that reminds you that some things are simply more
important.

The Waves ran a great tournament all weekend and this latest display was
just further proof of how committed they are to running to a great event.
Apparently all of the Wave staff and students were safely accounted for and
in good shape. There are lots of details to be settled at later times
(rental cars stuck on campus and a 'fire sale' on a bunch of Whitman tubs
left behind), but at a scary time it is good to report generally good news.
Thanks again to Sarah and all of the waves for a great weekend, fires and
all.

Gordon

Gordon Stables, Ph.D.
Director of Debate and Forensics
Annenberg School for Communication
University of Southern California
Office: 213 740 2759               Fax: 213 740 3913
http://usctrojandebate.com