[eDebate] My first debate tournament

Darren Surch darren.surch
Mon Oct 22 15:27:06 CDT 2007

 I probably shouldn't be posting on here since I am not an experienced
debater and West Point was actually the very first tournament that I had
attended and I am guessing my last one.  I had fun when I was debating other
people of my level and learning the ropes together, but in two rounds I
debated these teams that were clearly in the wrong division, threw all this
jargon at me that they knew I clearly did not know what it meant and for the
most part were pounding their chest because of their superiority to my
partner and me in this round.

I am not sure of all the rules, but I have been involved in competitive
athletics my entire childhood and although their are times when a team is
clearly superior to another team, most times the winning coach will put is
his reserves, but you will never see the varsity team playing against the JV
or Freshman squad and usually those athletes that are superior are moved up
to the Varsity squad because it is better for all those involved.

I suggest you examine what is going on and if winning is really that
important.  One of my judges was very sympathetic to this and I may return
because of him, but if I have to be thrown in to get slaughtered again,
there is no way that I will ever come back.  The community should examine
this practice.  I know the community is probably more worried about your
open debaters, but I am hoping that our voices can be heard as well.  As a
community, you need to send a message to those teams that are doing this, I
am not sure how, but there has to be way.