[eDebate] For those interested in trying to be an assistant coach and graduate student at Binghamton University, an email about various academic departments.

James K. Stanescu thescu
Tue Oct 23 18:43:31 CDT 2007

Many of you are aware of the fact that Joe Schatz has sent out emails
looking for a graduate TA and assistant debate coach starting next year. I
am currently filling that position. I wanted to encourage anyone with any
questions to please feel free in asking me. We are a growing strong team,
and anyone who comes has the chance to really leave their mark on the debate
team here. I was mostly writing to talk about various graduate programs here
at Binghamton that you might be interested in applying to. You can begin
your application process here
http://gradschool.binghamton.edu/ps/gradapplication.asp . You will also be
able to find out the specific time applications are due for each department
there. None of them will be due before late December, many after that. There
are many more departments than the ones I am about to talk about. If you are
interested in finding out more about any of them, or about the ones I talked
about here, please send me an email at thescu at gmail.com . I will either
answer your questions, or put you in contact with graduate students or
faculty in that department.

The English department has several possibilities. It is the department that
Joe is in, and the department that the debate class is housed in. The
department is a strong mixture of reading literary works, but also requires
some theory. For the debate world, it is notable that William Spanos teaches
in the English department here. Also, if you desire is to pursue creative
writing, the English department has a creative writing program. To find out
more about the English department, go here http://english.binghamton.edu/ .
Or just email Joe with any questions.

The Philosophy, Interpretation, and Culture (PIC) program is the one I am
in. PIC is an multidisciplinary program that allows for a significant amount
of academic freedom for its graduate students. Students are allowed to take
almost any graduate class in the college of arts and sciences, and allowed
to work with professors from many different professors. I have taken classes
housed in comparative literature, English, sociology, human development, and
art history. As a department we have a commitment to a radical politics
(though in what way varies highly), to doing philosophy differently, and
often to studying outside of (if sometimes only partially) the Eurocentric
tradition. This is seriously a rich and academically interesting
environment. This environment is also supplemented by the Center for
interdisciplinary studies in Philosophy, Interpretation, and Culture (CPIC).
http://pic.binghamton.edu/center.htm The center is host to several workshops
focusing on radical politics, aesthetic alternatives to disciplinary
philosophy, and decolonial thinking. To find out more about the PIC
department, go here http://pic.binghamton.edu/ . Or just email me.

For those of you not really interested in a critical tradition, our
political science department is just for you. I asked Michael Allen (a
former debater and current grad student) to write up a paragraph about the
poli sci department. He had this to say,

"The Political Science Department at Binghamton University offers a rigorous
program that will put candidates amongst the top graduates in the country.
 The program is smaller than those found on the top tiers, but rankings
based on systematic approaches to ranking departments (as opposed to self-
and peer-rankings) recently put the Binghamton Political Science Program as
19th in the world.  The program offers specialization in Comparative,
American, and World Politics with a heavy focus in methodology
(specifically, quantitative and game theoretic methods).  Students typically
(and are expected to) finish their Ph.D. in five years.  Faculty member
strongly focus on graduate student development (through teaching,
development, co-authorship, etc.) and graduate students from the department
regularly land tenure-track jobs". To find out more, go here
http://www.binghamton.edu/polsci/

The comparative literature department here is strong in both global
literatures and theoretical approaches. There are actually two tracks
students may apply for. The literary studies one is more focused on the
study of actual literature, and the PLC one is focused more on critical and
theoretical work. Both tracks will require students to know something about
both theory and literature. To find out more about this program, please go
here http://complit.binghamton.edu/

The art history department, or more formally known as The Graduate Program
in the History and Theory of Art and Architecture is a fascinating program.
One of the first graduate programs in the country that focused on
theoretical, interdisciplinary, and global approaches to art, architecture,
and visual culture; the department continues that tradition to this day.
Students interested in feminist, Marxist, situationist, social, and
post-colonial analysis will be particularly impressed with our art history
department. To find out more about this program, please go here
http://arthist.binghamton.edu/

The sociology department at Binghamton University is perhaps still most
famous for being where World Systems Theory is most credited for being
invented. While the department has a lot of interesting work not going on
about world systems, this is still the place to be for any student
interested in a world system approach. Particularly people interested
questions of hierarchies of class, race, and gender in the back drop of
global capital and colonialism will find the sociology department a
fascinating place to work. Also, the Fernand Braudel Center is housed in the
sociology department, which has brought speakers like Boaventura de Sousa
Santos and David Harvey. To find out more about the sociology department,
please go here http://sociology.binghamton.edu/

These are just a few of the department that I thought would be of interest
to people with a background in policy debate. There are several more, a
complete listing can be found here
http://harpur.binghamton.edu/deptsdegs.htm .

I have also decided to include the call for papers of the PIC conference at
the bottom of this email, just in case anyone is interested. Lastly, feel
free to email me or Joe (his is sailorferrets at gmail.com ) with any questions
at all about Binghamton, the debate team, or your expected duties.

Thanks a lot for anyone who read this,

Scu (James K. Stanescu)

Knowledge, Violence, Discipline: (Re)Thinking Politics
and the University
The 18th Annual Philosophy, Interpretation and Culture
(PIC) Conference
April 25-26, 2008
Binghamton University ? Binghamton, NY

We acknowledge our inheritance of various critiques of
the Academy, in which the Academy has been conceived
multiply: as an ideological instrument bent on
creating capitalist workers, as the technological
bedfellow of the military-industrial complex, as a
site that systematically elides alterior narratives
and reinscribes hegemonic processes, as a location
predicated on a disassemblage of the 'theoretical'
from the praxical.  We seek in this conference to
provide a dialogic space in which to critique and
reconfigure these radical analyses of
'knowledge-production,' as well as to engage
knowledges and epistemic formations which have been
deemed illegitimate or simply supplemental, and as a
result have been concomitantly tokenized, ghettoized,
or ignored altogether.

For, despite the thorough deconstruction of a notion
of the University as a politically  neutral site, we
have also mythified the moments of student revolt that
have sought to introduce radical political praxis in
the space of the University.  This mythification fails
to move us to rethink and concomitantly enact
effective resistances to current politico-economic
conditions, while additionally forcing a re-membering
of student revolt which elides instantiations of
resistant strategies and radical pedagogical practices
both historically and currently taking place in
terrains which fall either 'beneath' or 'beyond' the
radar of the Euro-/Westo-centric Academy.   A
rethinking of Politics and the University, we suggest,
entails a consideration of 'disciplinarity' which
takes seriously the specific violences which attend
the institutionalization of 'knowledge'   ? violences
which both open up and close off certain ways and
modes of knowing.

We seek submissions that both implicitly and
explicitly engage these issues.  Topics to consider
include:
? How does violence invest knowledge-production, and
what are the (unintended) productivities of this
relation?
? What is at stake in the contemporary
'redisciplinarization' of and 'tokenization' within
the university?
? How do we understand/combat the instrumentalization
and militarization of knowledge in the context of an
increasingly 'entrepreneurial' academy?
? What are the contemporary possibilities of forming
inter-, intra-, and para-institutional collectivities,
or of political engagements that reside in but
transcend the space of the University?  How do these
current possibilities relate to many legacies of
resisting violence and transforming not just the
academy but the social at large?

Workers/writers/thinkers of all different
disciplinary, inter-disciplinary, and non-disciplinary
stripes welcome.  Submissions may be textual,
performative, visual.

Submission Guidelines

Submission deadline: Monday, January 21, 2008.

Please submit a 300-500 word abstract along with a
cover letter that includes your name, academic
affiliation, contact numbers, complete mailing
address, and e-mail address, as well as information
regarding any technological equipment you may need for
your presentation. Papers will be considered for a 20
minute presentation, followed by discussion, so please
limit the length of paper to 10-12 pages.

Email address for inquiries and electronic submission
of abstracts:  pic.conference.2008 at gmail.com

--
James K. Stanescu
Graduate Student

Assistant Debate Coach

"As long as there are slaughterhouses, there will also be battlefields."
-Tolstoy