[eDebate] Position announcement: Director of Debate, tenurable, Augustana College

Snowball, David Snowball
Wed Oct 24 11:15:45 CDT 2007

Augustana College, Rock Island, Illinois

Assistant Professor/Director of Debate

Augustana is seeking applications for its Director of Debate position.  We will also search for a faculty-level Assistant Director of Debate.  That second search will formally commence as soon as the Director search is completed

Qualifications:  Substantial debate experience is required.  Ph.D. preferred, ABD considered.

The successful applicant will direct a nationally recognized NDT program and will teach courses in the department and probably within the College??s Liberal Studies core.  The Director typically starts with courses such as public speaking, debate and persuasion, then adds other courses as times goes on.  The Director, with the support of an assistant director, manages all aspects of a small but successful debate program: arrange travel and budgets, travel with teams, recruit student debaters, contribute to the recruitment of an assistant director, and maintain strong connections with high school programs.  The Director of Debate has a reduced teaching load of four courses over three trimesters.  Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Ideally we will have a director in place by early December. Members of the department will be available at NCA.  Questions about this position should be directed to the Search Committee Chair, David Snowball, at snowball at augustana.edu.

Augustana College is a selective, four-year, liberal arts institution of 2,500 students, most of whom live in residence halls on a wooded 115-acre campus. Rock Island, Illinois is one of the Quad-Cities of Illinois and Iowa, a diverse metropolitan area on the Mississippi River with 350,000 residents. Augustana College is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from women and persons of diverse ethnic backgrounds.  We do not discriminate based on age, race, color, ethnic origin, gender, sexual orientation, disability or creed.  Details about Augustana, our expectation of the faculty, the selection process, and the Quad Cities are all available at the Faculty Search website; http://www.augustanafaculty.org <http://www.augustanafaculty.org/>

Application material must be addressed to the specific search code and must include the following:

oletter of application describing your specific fit to the position,

ocurriculum vitae,

ograduate transcripts,

oevidence of teaching effectiveness, and

othree letters of recommendation to:

Search #109-08SPCM/Debate

?G Jeff Abernathy,

Dean of the College,