[eDebate] Val Browning Round Robin at Weber St. Invitation

Richard TEWS RTEWS
Thu Oct 25 15:12:14 CDT 2007

October  26th, 2007

Dear Community:

The Val Browning Round Robin will have a new date this year: The
weekend of Jan 19-20, 2008.  We will offer a competitive, yet inclusive,
round robin consisting of 7 preliminary debates and 2 elimination
rounds.  A total of 16 teams can participate.  Please enter at
www.debateresults.com . Time limits will be 9-3-6-10.  We will debate
the 07-08 CEDA/NDT Topic.  Weber State team(s) will participate and are
eligible for elimination rounds and speaker awards.  The tournament will
abide by the CEDA Constitution*s statements on eligibility, sexual
harassment, and evidence challenges.  The tournament will be sanctioned
by CEDA.

All rounds will be held inside the Eccles Conference Center:
[http://oecenter.com ].

You*ll be staying at brand new Hampton Suites Hotel for the AMAZING
rate of $55 a night*and trust me, this Hampton is something special.

[http://hamptoninn.hilton.com/en/hp/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=OGDUTHX].

We will provide two lunch banquets during the course of the prelim
rounds. For this year we have negotiated a Mexican and Asian themes.

Now for the questions:

1.  Where do I book rooms?  Call the Hampton Inn. Tel: +1-801-394-9400
group name is VBR 25 rooms (all doubles) $55 + tax.  If you can prove
tax exemption they will honor it!  ALSO, for you SMOKERS*5 of the
reserved rooms are SMOKING ROOMS*these are the ONLY smoking rooms in the
hotel.  IF you choose to smoke, ONLY do so in these rooms.  IF YOU SMOKE
in a non-smoking room, YOU WILL BE FINED $100.00.

The address of the hotel is:  2401 Washington Boulevard, Ogden, Utah,
United States 84401
2.  How do I schedule a shuttle?  Email Omar at Oguevara at weber.edu to
arrange transportation from SLC to the Ogden Marriot. The trip is
roughly 72 miles round trip, but the gas is on us (actually, part of
your entry fee).

3.  What if I decide to rent a car? Directions are simple: From the
airport, take I-80 East to I-15 North. Drive about 30 minutes, take the
24th street exit (exit number #345) and turn right.  Follow the road for
about two miles and after the bridge, the Hampton is on the right
(can*t miss it).  But really, don*t waste your money, the
tournament is designed to make a rental car unnecessary.

4.  How much are team fees? In the ideal world, we would not charge
entry fees.  Unfortunately, that is no longer financially or politically
possible.  Thus the fee is $150 per team.  Each team must have one
full-time critic who is available to judge up to 7 prelim debates and be
available through all elimination rounds.  I know there will be strong
interest in having a preference system, so please having all critics
registered to judge 7 debates so the tab room has maximum flexibility in
giving your teams the best preference sheet possible.

Please note: Your entry fees covers two debaters and one coach for the
banquet.  If you exceed you entry fee allocation, you will required to
pay and additional $50 dollars for each coach, judge, or guest.  This
policy will be enforced.

5. What does the schedule look like?

Friday, January 18th, 2008

6-9 PM:        Registration and Welcome Room, First Floor of Hampton.
Strike sheets and Pairings will be available.  There will be a social
gathering for all: call 801 668 6910 for details when you arrive.

Saturday, January 19th, 2008

8:00 AM - 10:00 AM:        Round #1

10:00 AM - 12:00PM:       Round #2

12:00PM - 2:00 PM:         Banquet Lunch

2:00 PM-4:00 PM:           Round #3

4:00 PM -6:00 PM:                    Round #4

6:00 PM - 8:00 PM:          Round #5

Hospitality Room Open, call 801 668 6910 for details.

Sunday, January 20st, 2008

9:00 AM - 11:00 AM:        Round #6

11:00 AM - 1:00PM:         Round #7

1:00 PM - 3:00 PM:          Banquet Awards Lunch. Elimination Round
Participants and Judges Announced.  Top speakers lauded,
coach-of-the-year award.

3:00 PM -5:00 PM:            Quarters

6: 00 PM - 8:00 PM:         Semis

8:00 PM - 10:00 PM:        Finals

6.  Will brackets be broken for elimination debates? No.  Please
don*t pester me about this.

7.  How will teams be assigned to pods? The Co-Directors of the Tab
Room, in conjunction with the Director of the Tournament (Veronica) will
calibrate the wheels accordingly. The intent being to create two
competitively balanced pods.

8.  Who will run the tab room?:  Glen Frappier, Director of Forensics @
Gonzaga University, and Matt Stannard, Director of Forensics @ The
University of Wyoming, will co-direct the Tab Room.

The Val Browning Round Robin is a long-standing tradition in District
9. Please consider joining us for what will be a truly competitive and
entertaining time. If you have questions or concerns, please do not
hesitate to contact me.

9.  OG, what is the cheapest ticket to SLC?  If you are out west it is
almost always southwest airlines, if you are heading in from back East
it is a crap shoot, but I*d make sure to check out frontier airlines
through Denver.

10.  What if we want to attend but our means are limited?  Send me an
email, and we*ll work it out.  We have some rooms we can donate, we
can work out a deal with entry fees, etc*we will do what we can to
alleviate the financial burden.

Sincerely Yours,

OG

Omar G. Guevara II