[eDebate] The Speaker Point Scale Revolution

Veronica Guevara veronica_m_barreto
Thu Oct 25 16:53:17 CDT 2007

I was interested in getting colleagues' feedback on how folks are planning on adapting to the new point scale systems tournaments are experimenting with (Wake's 50 point scale & USC's addition of 1/4 point increments). What would a 27 quality speech be on a 50 point scale?  What would merit a 1/4 point bump up or down?

I'm just interested in seeing folks' thoughts on the conversation before November. If we can successfully change to a scale that better reflects critics' impressions of debates and militates against point inflation, I don't think it's a bad idea to get folks' input.

Veronica M. Guevara

Weber State University
Department of Communications
1605 University Circle
Ogden, UT 84408

Climb to the top of the charts!? Play Star Shuffle:? the word scramble challenge with star power.