[eDebate] Graduate School Opportunities at USC

Gordon Stables stables
Sun Oct 28 14:36:57 CDT 2007

With the entry deadlines approaching I wanted to send along some information about a few of the graduate programs offered by the Annenberg School of Communication at USC. Students in either of the following two programs (Ph.D. in Communication or a Masters of Public Diplomacy) can work with the debate program as part of their assistantships.

We have a long tradition of USC Ph.D.s coaching debate and we are pleased to add the MA in Public Diplomacy program. This unique program is now in its second year and we are excited to announce that the Annenberg School has founded an assistantship exclusively for students with intercollegiate policy experience. Each year one student will be fully funded to pursue the MA program and work with the USC Trojan Debate Squad. This assistantship recognizes the important foundation that intercollegiate policy debate provides undergraduate students.

Ph.D. - Communication

The School of Communication offers an interdisciplinary Ph.D. program in humanistic and behavioral approaches to communication. It provides students with a strong background in a variety of social scientific and historical-critical methods and prepares them to conduct original research in communication.

Graduates seek careers in both academic and non-academic arenas. Students enter the doctoral program with a variety of academic majors and backgrounds in the social sciences, arts and humanities, physical sciences, engineering, or pre-professional studies.

Students may apply with either a BA/BS or a MA. An advanced communication degree is not required to enter the program.