[eDebate] Results - CEDA Survey on Student Fees

Sue Peterson bk2nocal
Wed Oct 3 12:41:33 CDT 2007

I think the results of the survey and the recent example at UMKC demonstrate
the vulnerability of many of our programs.  Students fees usually require an
annual renewal with no guarantees as to the degree of funding from
year-to-year (although some universities offer a little more stability
through departmental acquisition of fees for co-curricular/extra-curricular
programs in their departments, to be given out by the Dean/Chair versus
student government having total control over approval and distribution,
which it sounds like is the case at UMKC).  It might be worthwhile to have
some individuals work on a "white paper" or something that considers some of
the ways that programs can justify their team as something that benefits the
entire student body (which seems to be the argument being made to drop the
funding at UMKC) as well as why speech and debate teams are worthy of
funding when the budgets get tight.  I know that there are a couple of very
valuable documents out there from both Georgetown's experience (I used this
document at Pepperdine when the threat of cutting the program was made and
it was extremely helpful) and an older one done by Carrie Crenshaw when she
was at Alabama.  I'm sure there are more out there.  Even if we could just
get all these documents on a "Resource" page at the CEDA website, it would
be helpful.  It would be even more helpful if we could then get people to
make additions as they go through program reviews, etc.

Just some ideas as to how to take this information and turn it into
something positive.  Thanks Gordon for taking the time to gather the info!

--Sue

--
Sue Peterson

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
Dr Seuss