[eDebate] Consultantion Args from Johnny Prieur

Adam Farra adamhfar
Tue Oct 9 23:05:38 CDT 2007

The way consultation CPs are read currently negates any of the
benefits that Johnny thinks they bring to debate.

Nobody reads Consultation CPs the way that Johnny is talking about
them. Johnny is talking about CPs that include a third-party, which
significantly changes the nature of the plan. This is not the same
thing as the Consultation CP - the Third-Party CP assumes that Syria,
for example, is included COMPLETELY in any diplomatic initiative that
the US has with Lebanon (i.e. Syria has a seat at the table
throughout the implementation of the plan and is an integral part of
the diplomatic framework that is set up post the plan). This is
different from the "Consult Syria" CP which just has a Yes/No
component to it. I think the Third-Party CP is much cooler, but
obviously it is less strategic for the negative - they have to deal
with US-Syria Relations Bad, any significant modifications that Syria
wants would be much bigger solvency deficits, triangular relations
DAs, a much stronger hegemony argument, maybe some competition
issues, etc.

Johnny says consult is timely and meaningful to debate - see above.
Can you imagine the US doing the Consult Syria CP? "Hey, we're going
to strengthen the Lebanese central government so that it can stand up
on its own and kick out Syrian influence. You can say yes, no, or you
can modify our idea in an embarrassingly minor way. Whaddya say?" I
don't think that style of consultation CP informs debaters about the
benefits of diplomacy - it is just a shallow gesture that, at most,
creates a Coalition of the Willing.

Of course this probably means that the affirmative should win the
"Say No" debate, but I think that is balanced out by the arguments
others have made about why consultation CPs are unpredictable, the
low level of scrutiny applied to genuine consultation cards, etc.

Adam
Michigan