[eDebate] my Richmond updated judge philosophy -- please read

Asha Cherian asha.cherian
Fri Oct 12 03:04:07 CDT 2007

Jean-Paul and Paul respond defensively -- that's exactly what I
believe defensive, exclusionary judge philosophies, like mine,
engender.

If it's legit for one judge to vote only on traditional policy args,
it's legit for another judge to vote only on nontraditional args.  My
judge philosophy is the logical extension of many Richmond judges'
philosophies.

By dialogue I mean clarity.  Within these respective roles, no one on
either side of this binary has a shot at real dialogue on the really
important questions, like the implications of polarized regional
debate (the 2 poles are those with a record of voting on all types of
arguments & and those without one).  And we can't get to the point of
talking about these effects without talking about the constructions we
create when we speak about positions in polarizing language, like
'most kritik debate is bad.'  We have to get nuanced in the way we
talk and think about positions.  For example the basis for judges
grouping performance and K debate seems illegit (those who say they
reject both).  If you don't vote on generic link Ks, it's a
contradiction to not vote on generic link disads.  If you don't vote
on link of omission performances, it's a contradiction to not vote on
link of omission Ts.  If this is you, your beef isn't with certain
types of positions, but with certain types of links.

This is what I think right now.  And I have thought this for a while.
I wrote my Richmond-only philosophy to challenge my assumptions.
Other judges should seek out ways to challenge their own -- we need
creative solutions to these problems.  The medium I'm going to use is
the same one so many among us advocate in and out of round: role
playing.  Before I try to defend why this binary is bad, in my rounds
at Richmond I'm going to role-play why this binary is good.

Asha

--
Asha