[eDebate] Judging Philosophy

Kris Willis kristopherwillis
Fri Oct 12 07:51:24 CDT 2007

I have long struggled with this question: Do I disclose preferences or be open for any debate the debaters want to have in front of me. For years, I have said I was an open critic and receptive to all forms of debate. The problem for me personally, was I found myself in the back of debates I felt I shouldn't be; whether because I didn't understand the argument, or I had a VERY different read on said social theorist being quoted during the debate. As a result, when I voted I tended to get a little criticism for saying I was an open critic (when in fact in these situations) I was not. Hence the change in my philosophy. While I use the "rather pull my teeth" quote to emphasize I don't want to hear certain forms of criticisms, I still very much enjoy critical arguments as I say in my disclosure. I just prefer specific criticisms that center around policy calculations. This is also because I am a political activist and policy analyst. Please don't read I don't think you should read critical arguments, I just would prefer you pass on me if it is not centered on policy calculations etc.
I have voted for the affirmative, because why not, I have voted on arguments mocking debate etc. and I will continue to do so if the team running them argues them better in front of me than the other team.
I just wanted to disclose this here, in case there is clarity needed for my personal philosophy as it has changed.

Kris Willis
AppState
DOF

From: berchnorto at msn.com
To: edebate at www.ndtceda.com; asha.cherian at gmail.com
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 08:18:06 -0400
Subject: Re: [eDebate] my Richmond updated judge philosophy -- please read

Three quick points:
1.  Richmond is not responsible for the judging pool at its
tournament, except to the extent that Kevin has gone the extra mile to provide a
broadened perspective by bringing in folks from across the country.  Other
than that, the judging pool really is just a reflection of geography.
2.  As someone who just filled out a pref sheet for Richmond, I read a
lot of those judging philosophies (and should note that there are at least a
dozen people in the pool who don't have a philosophy on the Bruschke
page).  I was indeed struck by the number of philosophies that basically
said the judge wouldn't hear a particular argument.  I'm not suggesting
that everyone pretend they are open to everything, but there's an awful lot of
"don't run that in front of me".
3.  To the extent that there is a kritik/policy divide, the
overwhelming majority of the "don't run that in front of me or else" rhetoric
comes from the policy side.  The irony of the debate that has gone on over
the past week over Mr. Hardy's post on consultation counterplans is that using
points as a punishment mechanism for running particular arguments goes on all
the time in the status quo.  What made Mr. Hardy's proposed philosophy more
controversial was that it was over a controversy largely WITHIN the policy side
of the divide.  Nobody has raised much of a ruckus over philosophies that
say:
a)  If you claim that T is a reverse voter, you will lose
points.
b)  If you go for a K in front of me, you will lose points.
c)  I'm hostile to kritiks, don't understand them, and don't have to
due to MPJ.
d)  If you make "policy" arguments you will get a minimum of...
e)  I will never vote on X.

I see "kritikal" people vote on (and give high points to) policy arguments
all the time.  I recall at the height of the controversy over Louisville's
argumentation seeing Ede Warner vote on straight-up status quo policy issues
(and give them good points), all while people were putting in their philosophies
that they will not even listen to Louisville-style debate.

Imagine the uproar if someone promised a minimum of X number of points to
teams that ran "kritikal" arguments, or limited the number of points for teams
that ran "policy" arguments.  Oh, wait.  I don't have to imagine
that.  Asha demonstrated it.

Goose/gander, etc.
--Neil Berch
West Virginia University