[eDebate] the good old days?

Jim Hanson hansonjb
Sun Oct 14 22:38:16 CDT 2007

Re: the good old days?
just a quick throw-in that isn't a complete solution to the below but somewhat: I support mpj for jv and novice division too.

jim :)
hansonjb at whitman.edu

From: LACC Forensics
Sent: Sunday, October 14, 2007 3:37 PM
To: matt stannard ; E-Debate
Subject: Re: [eDebate] the good old days?

I don't disagree with Matt's complaints about the pre-MPJ days. I think these criticisms are absolutely true and continue on the high school circuit today. Unfortunately, I think MPJ has solved some problems, but created others.

Now, I will fully admit that my perspective is colored by my experience. Yes, I did compete for a good program and won't deny that we enjoyed good relationships with judges. However, there are two issues for which Matt, Jim, and Andy's defenses of MPJ don't really account.

The first is true adaptation. Andy says that this still occurs just with different parameters. While this may be true, I don't think it is as significant or as valuable as the adaptation that was necessary in the past. Yes, we had a good reputation and that worked to our advantage much as it does today's debaters. However, unlike today's debaters, we routinely had to adapt to judges who had very different preferences than we did. How often do today's national circuit debaters have to adapt to judging styles as widely different as Bud York and Rodger Biles? I would say almost never, yet we had to do so almost every week. Our range of skills were far greater than those developed by the top debaters in the country today because they had to be.

The second issue is education. The problem I have with defenders of MPJ on the question of education is, education for who? Maybe there is some very specific education that takes place for those elite teams that benefit from MPJ on a regular basis. But what about those who are left behind? As a community college coach, I rarely have open division competitors and who judges the novice and JV divisions? We are left with the judges that no one in the Varsity division wants. So, not only do the students who are most in need of education in the activity not receive access to the better judges, they are often judged by people who use their time in the lower divisions to ingratiate themselves to teams in the higher divisions by voting for their types of arguments so that they might be preferred in the future.

I won't deny that MPJ works great for some programs. Of course there is a drop-off in attendance by major circuit schools with varsity teams when tournaments don't use MPJ - those teams lose a huge competitive advantage. But, it doesn't work for a lot of programs and that's fine as long as supporters of MPJ stop pretending that it is an egalitarian approach. At least admit that you're willing to sacrifice novice and JV debaters for the success of varsity students. The truth is that I don't care much about what happens at the varsity level. I think students who are still competing at that level are far more able to adapt to the challenges of judging and arguments than those in the lower divisions.

So, who are we educating?

Ken