[eDebate] Moving the conversation on Judge 'Preferences'

Jim Hanson hansonjb
Tue Oct 16 00:58:59 CDT 2007

I'll offer some real quick, not well thought out ideas on this:

1. all things being equal, increasing judges who are part of lesser
represented groups might/should be considered. identification of these
groups as well as being sensitive to those individuals specific objectives
(some may not want to judge more) may not be a quick task particularly for
large tournaments.

2. work and knowledge on the topic should be considered. I don't know how
you would measure that but I think it is an important part of being a good
judge that mpj isn't totally aware of.

3. respected, experienced judging. first year outs can be excellent but they
can also be a real risk. on the other hand, old codgers like myself can be
their own risks. :) again, I don't know how you would measure this but
perhaps community wide measurement could weigh in favor of certain long
termers.

4. respected, first year outs. switching sides from what I said in
3--there's something to be said for someone who knows the art of the
activity as it is practiced. perhaps that should be considered more heavily
in judge placement.

5. contextual placement. kloster's argument about sides is one way to do
this. another is to identify and use the most respected judges for the break
rounds. another is to preference judges based on who you are paired against.
I suppose there are endless perms of this. all of them are very difficult to
put into practice and might very well work against mpj's overall intentions.

personally, I'm guessing sticking to current mpj suffices and is easiest
(poor gary and rich and jon and danny--more coding with their tab programs?)
but gordon poses an interesting question. maybe this will generate
something.

jim :)
hansonjb at whitman.edu