[eDebate] The Speaker Point Scale Revolution

Darren Elliott delliott
Fri Oct 26 13:38:27 CDT 2007

For me if the routine is good but you just miss "sticking the landing" expect a .25 bump down.  If you have a judge from France, I am sure it will be at least .5 bump.  : )

In all seriousness, at the last tournament I began coming up with a point scale (in .5 increments) and what I would use to determine speaker points to make judgments a little more fair.  Right now I think a lot of people begin with a 27 base line.  Thats fine if it works for you.  I dont think I really start there but more on that later.  To me, the 2 speeches and the cx you are a part of all matter (though not equally obviously).  Once I finalize the "rubric" I plan to use I will post it to edebate.

chief

Darren Elliott
Director of Debate--KCKCC
CEDA 1st VP

>>> Veronica Guevara <veronica_m_barreto at hotmail.com> 10/25/2007 4:53 PM >>>

I was interested in getting colleagues' feedback on how folks are planning on adapting to the new point scale systems tournaments are experimenting with (Wake's 50 point scale & USC's addition of 1/4 point increments). What would a 27 quality speech be on a 50 point scale?  What would merit a 1/4 point bump up or down?

I'm just interested in seeing folks' thoughts on the conversation before November. If we can successfully change to a scale that better reflects critics' impressions of debates and militates against point inflation, I don't think it's a bad idea to get folks' input.

Veronica M. Guevara

Weber State University
Department of Communications
1605 University Circle
Ogden, UT 84408

Climb to the top of the charts!  Play Star Shuffle:  the word scramble challenge with star power. Play Now!