[eDebate] CEDA: Exec Sect Report

Jim Hanson hansonjb
Mon Oct 29 18:45:47 CDT 2007

just to respond: I did not write that amendment and don't really have an opinion on the amendment.

I think given the previous discussions and what neil is saying below--getting this stuff clarified would be a good idea.

jim :)
hansonjb at whitman.edu

From: NEIL BERCH
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2007 4:22 PM
To: eDebate eDebate ; Jeffrey Jarman
Subject: Re: [eDebate] CEDA: Exec Sect Report

A couple of amendment-related thoughts:  I'm sure most of the discussion will be on Jeff's conference proposal, but I'd like to talk about something else (and it would also be cool if amendment sponsors were identified).  Amendment #10 (Final Round Provisions) is a fine idea (leveling the playing field between larger and smaller tournaments by only counting JV or open finals against your quota of three for continued JV eligibility if there are at least full quarters in that division).  The reason I'm posting is that I'm hoping someone will offer a friendly amendment to further specify the phrase "An exception will be made for Junior Varsity national tournaments."  As someone who hosted the largest JV Nationals the past two years, I had to interpret that clause.  I received poison pen emails for my interpretation (which was "The number of finals you've been in or whether you've ever qualified for the NDT doesn't matter; if you are otherwise eligible for JV, you're eligible for JV Nationals.").

I think the interpretation that Towson is using this year ("if a debater begins the year with junior varsity eligibility that person is eligible to compete at this tournament.") and that Georgetown used in 2005 is the best one for competitive equity.  It lets you compete in JV Nationals if you were in your third final or qualified for the NDT during the current competitive season (avoiding the "I bought plane tickets but then qualified for the NDT a week before JV Nationals" problem), but it says that if you qualified for the NDT or were in your third final last season (in your first season of JV eligibility), you're not eligible for JV Nationals this season.  I didn't use that interpretation because I didn't see how it was supported by the wording of the by-law.

I'm hoping that folks will discuss this and perhaps amend this otherwise fine proposal to clarify the "exception" issue in whatever way they deem appropriate (but clarify it for sure).  Perhaps the author of Amendment #10 (Maybe Jim Hanson, who has raised this issue before) would consider adopting Towson-like language as a friendly amendment.

--Neil Berch
West Virginia University