[eDebate] CEDA: Exec Sect Report

Jeffrey.Jarman Jeffrey.Jarman
Mon Oct 29 19:19:35 CDT 2007

I will clarify this on the web later, but the authors are:

Amendments 1-3:  Jeff Jarman
Amendment 4:  Joe Patrice
Amendments 5-11:  Darren Elliott

Jeff

eDebate<mailto:edebate at ndtceda.com> ; Jeffrey
Jarman<mailto:jeffrey.jarman at wichita.edu>
>  Sent: Monday, October 29, 2007 7:45 PM
>  Subject: Re: [eDebate] CEDA: Exec Sect Report
>

>  just to respond: I did not write that amendment and don't really have an
opinion on the amendment.

>  I think given the previous discussions and what neil is saying
below--getting this stuff clarified would be a good idea.

will be on Jeff's conference proposal, but I'd like to talk about something
else (and it would also be cool if amendment sponsors were identified).
Amendment #10 (Final Round Provisions) is a fine idea (leveling the playing
field between larger and smaller tournaments by only counting JV or open
finals against your quota of three for continued JV eligibility if there are
at least full quarters in that division).  The reason I'm posting is that I'm
hoping someone will offer a friendly amendment to further specify the phrase
"An exception will be made for Junior Varsity national tournaments."  As
someone who hosted the largest JV Nationals the past two years, I had to
interpret that clause.  I received poison pen emails for my interpretation
(which was "The number of finals you've been in or whether you've ever
qualified for the NDT doesn't matter; if you are otherwise eligible for JV,
you're eligible for JV Nationals.").

>  I think the interpretation that Towson is using this year ("if a debater
begins the year with junior varsity eligibility that person is eligible to
compete at this tournament.") and that Georgetown used in 2005 is the best one
for competitive equity.  It lets you compete in JV Nationals if you were in
your third final or qualified for the NDT during the current competitive
season (avoiding the "I bought plane tickets but then qualified for the NDT a
week before JV Nationals" problem), but it says that if you qualified for the
NDT or were in your third final last season (in your first season of JV
eligibility), you're not eligible for JV Nationals this season.  I didn't use
that interpretation because I didn't see how it was supported by the wording
of the by-law.

>  I'm hoping that folks will discuss this and perhaps amend this otherwise
fine proposal to clarify the "exception" issue in whatever way they deem
appropriate (but clarify it for sure).  Perhaps the author of Amendment #10
(Maybe Jim Hanson, who has raised this issue before) would consider adopting
Towson-like language as a friendly amendment.