[eDebate] 68th Annual Moutaineer Debates Invitation

Kris Willis kristopherwillis
Tue Sep 4 10:09:45 CDT 2007

Attached is a copy if you are having trouble reading this email. Please make your hotel reservations early as this is a home football weekend at AppState...And we LOVE our Football around here!

September 4,2007
Dear Colleagues,

We are pleased to invite you to the *68th Annual Mountain Debate
Tournament.* The tournament is sponsored by the Appalachian State University Forensics Team on the weekend of *November 9-11, 2007.* This invitation contains all the information you will need to register, including hotel and parking,details concerning the pre-tournament Mountaineer Hike. All schools are welcomed!

The tournament will feature Open, Junior Varsity, and Novice divisions
of *policy debate.* The tournament will abide by ADA,CEDA, and NDT guidelines.  Any conflict will be resolved by the Director in consultation with the Tab Room Director.   We are happy to announce that Mike Davis will be directing the tab room. We will have six preliminary rounds of competition on the 2007-2008 CEDA Policy Debate Topic,plus the appropriate number of elimination rounds.

We are committed to providing you and your students with a wonderful debate experience. We have secured the same hotel we used last year, negotiated a rate of $39/Thursday evening $79/Friday & Saturday nights.  Moreover, for added convenience, the entire tournament will take place in a single building on campus.  We are proud to provide additional *hospitality* services this year. We will serve lunch on Saturday, as well as coffee, water, and fruit throughout the tournament.  In addition, we will provide menus and *discount cards* for many of Boone's outstanding restaurants.

We are excited to sponsor our third annual pre-tournament *Mountaineer
Hike* for interested debaters and coaches. We will be hiking a portion of the Price Park Trail which will provide debaters with a fabulous view of Trashcan falls and some pre-tournament oxygen.  Please e-mail Mariam Willis at willismr at appstate.edu if you would like to participate. We will meet at the tournament hotel, which is the *HighCountry Inn* at noon on Friday, November 9th.  Just a note,there is a home football game on the weekend of our tournament which draws fan from across the nation. So I *STRONGLY encourage* you to make your reservations immediately.

We hope you?ll put Appalachian State University on your tournament schedule.  Come enjoy the beautiful mountain scenery and fresh air in Boone, NC.

Sincerely,      Kris Willis
  Director of Forensics
  Appalachian State University
  (828)262-7366 (office)   (828) 719-7705
  williskw at appstate.edu
  Fax: (828)262-2543       Mariam Razian Willis
  Assistant Director of Forensics
  Appalachian State University
  (828)262-7527 (office)
  (828) 719-7706 (cell)
  willismr at appstate.edu         ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
*ENTRIES*: Each school may enter as many teams as it wishes in each division.Any student may be entered in Open Division. Only students with two years or less experience in college debate may be entered in the JV division. Only those students with 2 semesters or less experience including high school debate may be entered in Novice Division.

*FORMAT*: The 2007-08 CEDA Policy Topic will be used for the three policy divisions. Six preliminary rounds with appropriate elimination rounds in each division will be offered. Speaking times will be 9-3-6 with 10 minutes preparation. Rounds 1 & 2 will be randomly paired. Rounds 3 & 5 will be paired high/high based on cumulative records. Rounds 4 & 6 will be paired high/low within brackets and side constraints. Speaker awards will be given based upon adjusted speaker points (dropping highest and lowest points), then total speaker points, then double adjusted speaker points, then team record,then ranks.

*AWARDS*: Appropriate awards will be provided to all teams reaching
elimination rounds and the top 5 to 10 speakers in Novice, JV and
Open Policy Debate.  Once again, a bullthrower award will be given to the
debate judge who provides constructive criticism in an imaginative way.

*JUDGES*: Each school must provide 1 qualified judge for every 2 teams or fraction thereof entered. All judges are obligated 1 round beyond the point their team is eliminated. Since we have a *very* limited supply of qualified judges,
please make every effort to cover your judging obligation.

*FEES*: *$70.00 per team* and $100.00 per hired judge.

*ENTRY DEADLINE*: Monday, November 5, 2007 at 5:00 p.m. We prefer to
receive entries through debateresults.com.

*NO ADDS AT REGISTRATION*. All changes or drops at registration will result
in a $15.00 fee.

*HOUSING*: Blocks will be available at the High Country Inn and Comfort Suites  under *ASU Debate.* TOURNAMENT HOTEL *High Country Inn*, (828) 264-1000, 1785 Hwy 105 ($39/Thursday, $79Friday & Saturday per room)- A great breakfast diner, the Sunrise Grill, is located within walking distance and the hotel houses the area's largest sportsbar.  20 rooms are on reserve.  More info at http://highcountryinn.com/ *Comfort Suites*, (828) 268-0099, 1184 Hwy 105 (approx. $89 per room)-
Offers breakfast and high-speed Internet. More info at
http://www.choicehotels.com/ires/en-US/html/HotelInfo?hotel=NC052

Other hotels in the area: (Expect to pay between $90.00 and $150.00 a night
excluding tax.)

Super 8 Motel- (828) 264-4133 (formerly the Greystone Lodge)

Holiday Inn Express- (828) 264-2451

Greene's Motel - (828) 264-8845

Fairfield Inn & Suites (828) 268-0677

* *

*GENERAL DIRECTIONS TO HOTEL*:

The *High Country Inn* is located at 1785 NC Highway 105, Boone, NC 28607. An
excellent landmark is the large waterwheel at the hotel entrance.

The *Comfort Suites* is located at 1184 Hwy 105, Boone, NC 28607.

If you arrive in Boone on Hwy 421 North, turn left onto Hwy 105. You will
cross over Hwy 321 and the hotels will be less than a mile.

If you arrive in Boone on Hwy 321 North, turn left onto Hwy 105, and the
hotels will be less than a mile.

Of course if you arrive in Boone on either Hwy 421 or Hwy 321 South, you
will turn right onto Hwy 105, and the hotels will be less than a mile.

If you arrive in Boone on Hwy 105 North, hotels will be shortly after you
enter the city limits.

*GENERAL DIRECTIONS FROM HOTELS TO REGISTRATION AT ASU*:

Turn out of the parking lot onto Hwy 105 towards Hwy 321 (towards town). At
the Wendy's intersection, turn left onto Hwy 321 North. Stay in the left
hand lane. At the second stop light, turn left onto Rivers Street. At the
fourth stop light (not counting the stop light at the pedestrian cross
walk), turn right onto Bodenheimer/Depot St. Turn left onto Howard Street
Campus maps are also available at http://www.web.appstate.edu/maps/.

2007 ASU Policy Debate
Schedule

*Friday, November 11th*

Noon - 3:00 p.m. Mountaineer Hike (Join us for a short hike with
amazing views!)

3:00 - 5:00 p.m. Registration (2nd Floor Lobby of Raley Hall)

5:00 - 7:00 p.m. Round I

7:30 - 9:30 p.m. Round II

*Saturday, November 12th*

8:30 - 10:30a.m. Round III

11:00 - 1:00 p.m. Round IV

1:00 - 2:00 p.m. Lunch Break

2:30 ? 4:30 p.m. Round V

5:00 - 7:00 p.m. Round VI

7:30 ? 9:30 p.m. Octofinals (If necessary)

*Sunday, November 13th*

8:30 - 9:00 a.m. Awards Assembly

9:30 - 11:30 a.m. Debate Quarterfinals or Semifinals

12:00 - 2:00 p.m. Debate Semifinals or Finals

2:30 - 4:30 p.m. Debate Finals (If they have not already occurred)

Connect to the next generation of MSN Messenger?