[eDebate] KCKCC Invite

Darren Elliott delliott
Fri Sep 7 17:23:26 CDT 2007

Below is the invite for the KCKCC Debate Tournament, Oct. 12th-14th,
2007.  It has also been uploaded to the Bruschke site.

chief

Darren Elliott
Director of Debate and Forensics
Kansas City Kansas Community College
CEDA 1st VP

Friends,

Please plan on joining us in October for the 6th Annual Blue Devil
Debates. We plan to continue the tradition started four years ago in
honoring our judges and competitors with awards voted on by the
debaters. Additionally we will again present the Coaching Award and the
Dr. Amy Fugate Leadership Award. Last year's recipients were Jason
Russell of Oklahoma University, winning the Coaching Award and Dr. Neil
Berch of West Virginia University, receiving the Leadership Award. I
look forward to presenting this year's awards as well. We may also be
continuing a tradition of going out one evening for a Night of Jazz or
even Bowling with Coaches who are interested. Likewise just 3 miles to
the West of campus is Village West. It has become the entertainment,
dining, and shopping mecca of Kansas and the Mid-West. It has moved
Kansas up 15 spots in tourism among all states
nationwide. Anything you could want to eat or buy is now available just
minutes from the Campus. I encourage everyone to check it
out--especially BBQ fans! : )

Thanks,
Chief

September 2007

Dear Colleagues:

On behalf of Kansas City Kansas Community College, Blue Devil Debate,
and the Humanities and Fine Arts Division, it is my pleasure to invite
you and your students to the 6th annual KCKCC Debate Tournament. The
debate tournament will be held Friday October 12th through Sunday
October 14th on the KCKCC campus in Kansas City, Kansas. Registration
for the tournament will be on Friday at the college. In this invitation
you will find the necessary hotel information, schedule, and entry form.
Please call for
your rooms now as rooms in KC are hard to come by. We will be offering
three divisions of policy debate on the current CEDA/NDT topic for
2006-2007. You may submit teams in Open, JV, and Novice divisions. We
will break to an appropriate number of elims in each
division and will do everything within reason to not have to collapse
divisions. As per the CEDA rule governing sweeps, we will break ? the
teams in all divisions providing at least a 50% W/L record. Speaker
awards will also be given in each division.

If you have any questions regarding the tournament, please do not
hesitate
to call or email. We look forward to hosting you on our campus in
October.

Sincerely,

Darren Elliott 				Adrian Self		Ken
DeLaughder
Director of Debate and Forensics
Assistant Coach	Assistant Coach
(913)288-7295 -- office
(316)214-9502 * cell
delliott at kckcc.edu

KCKCC Schedule:
Friday, October 12th
2:00pm Registration 1st Floor Humanities Building TV Lounge
3:00pm Round I, preset
5:30pm Round II, preset
9:00pm Regional Meeting/All Coaches Reception at Tournament Suite
(Possible bowling outing at Village West or Jazz Club Outing)

Saturday, October 13th
8:00am Release pairings at KCKCC Humanities 1st floor TV Lounge
9:00am Round III (High-High)
11:45am Round IV (High-Low)
1:45-3:00pm Lunch Break (Served on campus)
3:30pm Round V (High-High)
6:00pm Round VI (High-Low)
ASAP Release list of Elim participants at Hotels and on edebate
10:00pm All Coaches Reception at Tournament Suite (Possible bowling
outing at Village West or Jazz Club Outing)

Sunday, October 16th
8:00am Awards Assembly Lower Level Jewell Building/Release of
Pairings OR first partials round depending on size
9:45am Elim Round 1 (or Awards if Partials occurred at 8am)
12:30 Elim Round 2
3:30 Elim Round 3
6:00 Elim Round 4

KCKCC Tournament Information

DIVISIONS: We will be offering Open, Junior Varsity, and Novice
Divisions. Please follow the CEDA guidelines for entering your team in
the correct division. We will only collapse divisions if ABSOLUTELY
necessary. We will break to the appropriate number of elimsCEDA sweeps points regulations and number of entries in a division. We
will
break ? the teams in each division provided a 50% W/L record. If a
division does collapse we will still give awards based on how a team
finishes in comparison to other teams who would have been eligible for
the less experienced division.

ENTRIES: Please have your entries to me as soon as possible. I would
like them no later than Oct. 10th. The number of Saturday classes on our
campus has increased dramatically since last year. Classroom space is
limited. As such tournament entries will be secured on a first entered
basis. If a wait list is necessary, teams will be notified once the cap
is reached. If you are flying to KC, enter early and your spots will be
guaranteed.

TIME LIMITS: Time limits will be 9-3-6 with 10 minutes of prep time per
team.

JUDGING: Each school is expected to provide qualified judges to
accompany their teams. You are responsible for three rounds of judging
for every one team entered. All judges are committed through the first
elim debate or one round past their teams' elimination, whichever occurs
first. Please do your best to hire judges if you need to as opposed to
trying to
hire them through us. If you do need to hire a judge, the fee will be
$150.00 per uncovered team. Please give me plenty of notice if you need
to hire someone. If you are bringing extra judges, let me know how many
rounds they would like to be hired for. Judges MUST render a decision by
marking a loser and a winner of each debate. Only one team can win and
only one can lose. Judges not following this will have their ballot
changed with a coin toss and have their best team's record altered by
forfeiting a win at the conclusion of prelims.
We plan on using some sort of judge preference system depending on
entries and availability.  If a preference system is used, one will be
used in ALL divisions.  If you are bringing more teams than you can
cover, and are splitting your judge commitments among your coaches, it
is vital that you have enough judges on elim day to cover at a minimum
the number of teams you clear.

FEES: The registration fee will be $80.00 per team entered. We will
provide Breakfast on Saturday as well as lunch. We will provide
breakfast on Sunday morning as well. We will provide drinks and snacks
throughout the weekend. Cash is the preferred method of payment so we
can pay our vendors over the weekend. A check is the second best
option--made out to "Darren Elliott--KCKCC Debate". Unfortunately we
cannot take Visa, Mastercard, or Discover at this time. Bartering for
chickens, and pigs is always negotiable.

SMOKING: Please do not smoke inside buildings on the KCKCC campus.
Smoking areas and containers for cigarette butts are located outside
throughout the campus.

TEAMS: Teams should be comprised of two debaters from the same school or
two debaters, each from a different school. All teams, including hybrids
will be allowed to advance to elims and win speaker awards. KCKCC
debaters may participate in the tournament and advance to elim rounds.
Three-Person teams will be allowed although if multiple three-person
teams (2 from different schools) become a reality I will try and get
coaches together to make two-person hybrids out of their extra debaters.

AWARDS: Teams reaching the elimination debates will receive awards. An
appropriate number of speaker awards will be given in each division as
well. Collapsed divisions if it has to happen will still be awarded
based on finish in comparison to other teams from the less
experienced division that was collapsed. We will once again present the
Dr. Amy Fugate Leadership Award to a member of CEDA who has
distinguished service and leadership in the organization. Previous
recipients were ML Sandoz, Jeff Jarman, Eric Morris, and Neil Berch.

We will once again present the Coaches Award, typically designated for
an assistant coach, to show appreciation for those who work so hard to
keep our programs going. Previous rTaylor, Matt Moore, and Jason Russell.
We will present the Newcomer Award to any program coming to our
tournament for the first time, and the Long Distance Award to the
program traveling the farthest to be with us.
We will award the Top 3 Critics as voted on by the competitors.
We will award 1 team in each Division as ?representing the best there is
in competition? as voted on by the competitors.

BRACKETS: Brackets will not be broken in elimination debates.

HOTEL INFO:
There are a number of hotel options near the campus.  In the past we
have used the Microtel Inn and Suites as a tournament hotel.  The
Microtel is within 5 minutes of campus. Please make reservations ASAP.
The hotel is located right off of I70 and 78th St exit in Kansas City
(Exit #414). Ask for "kckcc debate rate" to get the tournament rate. If
you have problems, ask for Max and let him know what you are coming in
town for.

In the past they gave us rooms for $55/nt for Doubles, $60/nt for
Suites, $50/nt for Singles.
Their number is (913)334-3028. Their fax number is (913)334-5983.
They are located at 7721 Elizabeth St. Kansas City, KS 66112.

Other hotels:
The Comfort Inn and Suites (on the other side of I70 from the Microtel)
is about 5 minutes from campus.  Their number is 913-299-5555

The Holiday Inn Express (located in the Legends Shopping Center at
Village West) is 10 minutes from the College.  This hotel is relatively
new, very nice, and right in the middle of shopping and dining mecca!
Their number is 913-328-1024.

The Holiday Inn Express (On I70 in Bonner Springs) is about 10-15
minutes from the College.  Their number is 913-721-5300.

The Hampton Inn (located in the Legends Shopping Center at Village West)
is 10 minutes from the College.  Also very new and very nice, it is
located in the heart of shopping and dining.  Their number is
913-328-1400.

TRANSPORTATION: If you are flying in to KCI and need a shuttle to the
hotel, please let me know immediately.

If you are driving from the East: Take I70 through Kansas City, MO and
into Kansas City, KS. You will see signs for KCKCC just before the turn
off for the campus. You want to take the Turner Diagonal/Highway 40
Exit. Stay to the right onto Highway 40. Stay on until State Avenue.
Turn left onto State and at the first right, which is College Blvd.,
turn right into the college. Follow the road around (please don't hit
our ducks) until you see the Humanities building on your right. Park
anywhere you can find a space in front of Humanities. Enter
the Humanities building and go down two flights of stairs to the
registration area/TV lounge.

If you are driving from the West: Take I70 to Kansas City and take the
Highway 40 exit. You will be driving under the Turner Diagonal then
rounding back on to it heading North. When you come to State Avenue turn
left. The entrance to KCKCC will be on your immediate
right at College Blvd. Once turning on to College Blvd. follow the road
around (please don't hit our ducks) until you see the Humanities
building on your right. Park anywhere you can find a space in front of
Humanities. Enter the Humanities building and go down two flights of
stairs to the registration area/TV lounge.

If you are coming from the North or South: Take I35 until you reach I70.
Take I70 and follow the first set of directions listed above.

PARKING: You will not be ticketed by parking in the lot in front of
Humanities Friday, Saturday, or Sunday unless you park in a Handicapped
or Reserved stall. All unmarked and Visitor stalls are fine to park in.
You also need to park head-in to avoid being ticketed.

SEXUAL HARRASSMENT: The CEDA statement on Sexual Harassment will be
upheld.  A tournament harassment committee will be appointed to deal
with any issues that arise.

STATE LAW: All tournament participants, coaches and judges are expected
to adhere to the laws of the State of Kansas. Alcohol and illegal
substance consumption on campus is strictly prohibited by these laws and
will result in removal from the tournament.

Ppreferable.  Email is also fine. Phone is third best. Fax if you must! I
will download from that site periodically but always confirm via email
if you do not hear from me.

delliott at kckcc.edu Office-(913)288-7295
FAX-(913)288-7638 Cell-(316)214-9502

If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to call or

email me. We hope to see you in October in Kansas City.

Darren Elliott 			Adrian Self		Ken DeLaughder
Director of Debate 		                Assistant
Coach	Assistant Coach
KCKCC
7250 State Avenue
Kansas City, KS 66112
delliott at kckcc.edu
(913)288-7295 office
(913)288-7638 fax
(316)214-9502 cell

KCKCC Team Policy Entry Form-return to Darren Elliott
School ____________________________________
Coach ____________________________________
Address ____________________________________
Office # ____________________________________
Home # ____________________________________
Fax ____________________________________
Email ____________________________________
Open Division: (use more space if necessary)
1. ________________________________and_____________________________
2. ________________________________and_____________________________
3. ________________________________and_____________________________
4. ________________________________and_____________________________
Junior Varsity Division: (use more space if necessary)
1._____________________________and_________________________________
2._____________________________and_________________________________
3._____________________________and_________________________________
4._____________________________and_________________________________
Novice Division: (use more space if necessary)
1._____________________________and_________________________________
2._____________________________and_________________________________
3._____________________________and_________________________________
4._____________________________and_________________________________
Judges: Please indicate commitment for each judge and any team
restrictions. We ask that schools with multiple teams do your best to
secure multiple judges for elims. Only having one judge available on
elim
day makes it difficult on tournament administration. (use more space if
necessary)
1.
2.
3.