[eDebate] Henry Clay Invite

Patterson, J W jwpatt00
Tue Sep 11 10:38:22 CDT 2007

At the request of several coaches, I am re-sending the Kentucky Henry Clay invitation.

 INVITATION

 UNIVERSITY OF  KENTUCKY

 38th ANNUAL HENRY CLAY DEBATES

  October 6, 7,  & 8 2007
 (Saturday, Sunday, & Monday)

 NEW TOURNAMENT HOTEL - "RADISSON PLAZA  HOTEL"
Located Downtown
 Special Rate:  $95 per night, up to four  people;
859-231-9000; Ask for reservations, then mention UK  Debate

After 5:00 P.M. Call 800-333-3333
 FREE PARKING! Including  cars, vans and buses.
 FREE WIRELESS INTERNET!

NOTE  CAREFULLY THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION ABOUT THE TOURNAMENT  HOTEL:

    1.  Once our block of rooms is  filled, the hotel will take a waiting
 list.  As cancellations come in,  the hotel will go to the waiting list on a
 first come first served basis  honoring the tournament rate up to Wednesday,
 October  3rd.

     2.   The hotel will assess one  night's lodging per room for cancellations
 after Wednesday, October 3rd.

     3.   Fortunately, the Radisson is  equipped with sixteen meeting rooms.

     4.   When calling for reservations, please ask for the University of
 Kentucky  Debate Tournament rates.

 NOTE CAREFULLY THE FOLLOWING ABOUT  TOURNAMENT PROCEDURES

    1.  E-mail entries  only to jwpatt00 at uky.edu with a copy to Linda Barker
 at   linda.barker at uky.edu; REMEMBER TO PLACE AN ASTERISK BY ANY TEAM
 COMPETING FOR THE PRESEASON NOVICE NATIONAL  CHAMPIONSHIP.

     2.  A fee of $100/Team  will be assessed for any drops after Wednesday,
 October 3rd at 5 PM.

 Dear Director of Debate:

 This is your invitation to the  38th Annual University of Kentucky Henry Clay
 Debates on Saturday, Sunday, and  Monday, October 6, 7, & 8, 2007.  The
Tournament will have one  division: THE HENRY CLAY DEBATES (Varsity) plus "THE
 PRE-SEASON NOVICE  NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP."

 DATES: Saturday, Sunday, and Monday,   October 6, 7, 8, 2007

 FORMAT FOR THE HENRY CLAY DEBATES  (VARSITY):  The format will consist of
 eight preliminary rounds of  switch-side, two-person teams debating the
 2007-2008  topic.

 RESERVATIONS  FOR HOLLY HILL INN

 Ouita Papka, her husband Chris, and Roger Solt  have a restaurant in Midway,
 Kentucky called Holly Hill Inn. They are open  Wednesday through Saturday
 evening and Sunday for brunch. The food is superb.   Ouita changes the menu
 frequently with creative dishes.  Call  859-846-4732 for reservations.  Let
 them know you're with the debate  tournament.  Please inquire at the
registration desk for directions to  the Holly Hill Inn.

 FULL DOUBLE-OCTAS

 Should we have  ninety or more teams, we will have double octas en-route to
 the Sweet Sixteen.

 FORMAT FOR THE PRE-SEASON NOVICE NATIONAL  CHAMPIONSHIP

 This event will be an elimination bracket probably  beginning at the
 quarter-final level, but could begin earlier or later  depending on the number
 of entries.  Even if we have a partial octofinal,  we will work out a scheme
 in which novices who participate in Varsity  octofinals but subsequently lose
 will be able to enter the elimination bracket  at the quarterfinal level.
 "Novice" will be defined as students who are  debating for the first time in
 college this year.  To be eligible for  this division, debaters must have
 first participated in the preliminary rounds  of the Henry Clay Varsity
 Debates.

 TOURNAMENT  PRACTICES:

         1. Rounds  Per Day.  There will be four rounds held on Saturday and
 Sunday, with  elimination rounds on  Monday.

        2. Procedure for  Assigning Judges.  Judges will be assigned on a
 selective procedure  based on the input of the coaches.  Random assignments
 will not be  followed.

        3. Breaking  Brackets.  We will continue the practice of not breaking
 brackets in  the elimination rounds.  Thus, teams from the same school will
 meet if  their numbers fall accordingly.

 JUDGES: Each school is expected  to provide one judge per team. Accordingly, a
 coach with one team will be  expected to judge four rounds; plus at least one
 elimination round.  A  coach with two teams is expected to judge all eight
 rounds; plus at least one  elimination round. NOTE:  In addition to his or her
 preliminary  judging assignments, each judge is expected to stay one round
 past that in  which their team is eliminated. Hence, each judge is expected to
 be available  at least through quarter-finals.  HIRED JUDGES ARE NOT
 AVAILABLE. WE  WILL, HOWEVER, REFER PEOPLE WHO WISH TO JUDGE AT THE HENRY CLAY
 TO THOSE  COACHES WHO ARE HOPING TO HIRE JUDGES.

 REGISTRATION FEE:   The registration for the Henry Clay Debates is one-hundred
 and fifty  dollars ($150) per team. A twenty dollar ($20) surcharge will be
 assessed to  each novice team who wishes to be considered for the special
 elimination  bracket in the competition for the title "PRE-SEASON NOVICE
 NATIONAL  CHAMPIONS".  The surcharge is to defray the cost of additional
 trophies.   Fees include coaches parties each night plus one luncheon and
 continental breakfast.  If you pay by check, please make the check  payable to
 "UK Student Forum".

 TRANSPORTATION:   Unfortunately, UK can no longer provide transportation to
 and from the  airport or campus.

 FRIDAY REGISTRATION: All registration will  take place Friday evening, October
 5, 2007, in the Lafayette Suite of the  Radisson Hotel between 6:30 and 11
 p.m.  No registration will occur on  Saturday.

HOUSING: The Radisson Plaza is the Tournament Hotel:  (859) 299-1261. Cost:
$95 per night for one to four people. Arrangements  should be made
immediately.  Most motel managers say they will be  completely filled by
mid-September.  We are competing with Thoroughbred  racing at Keeneland Race
Course as well as UK football.  PLEASE make your  reservations immediately.

SINCE ALL SOCIAL EVENTS AND ELIMINATION  ROUNDS WILL BE HELD AT THE RADISSON
HOTEL, WE URGE YOU TO STAY THERE IF AT ALL  POSSIBLE.

SUGGESTED OVER-FLOW HOTELS

HYATT REGENCY  LEXINGTON (overflow hotel)
401 West High Street
Phone:  859-253-1234

SPRING HILL SUITES
863 South  Broadway
Lexington, Kentucky 40504
Phone:  859-225-1500

HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS LEXINGTON-DOWNTOWN/UNIVERSITY
1000 EXPORT  STREET
LEXINGTON, KY 40504
859-389-6800

PLEASE NOTE THAT  THE TOTAL TAX ON LEXINGTON LODGING IS 11.3 PERCENT.

QUESTIONS OR  LAST MINUTE CHANGES:  If any questions arise, or of any last
minute  changes occur, please do not hesitate to contact me.  My telephone
numbers are:

University Office: (859) 257-1665
Debate Office: (859)  257-6523
Home: (859) 272-4268
Fax: (859) 323-1995
Cell: (859)  552-7297
E-Mail: jwpatt00 at uky.edu

If you need to reach me after 4:00  pm, October 2nd, until the end of the
tournament, you can contact me at the  Radisson Hotel at (859) 231-9000.  Ask
for the Lafayette Suite.

I  am looking forward to seeing you and your teams at the University of
Kentucky's 2007 Henry Clay Debates.

Sincerely,

J.W.  Patterson
Director of Debate