[eDebate] UNLV judging information

Jacob.Thompson at unlv.edu Jacob.Thompson
Wed Sep 12 12:13:47 CDT 2007

TWO IMPORTANT NOTES ABOUT JUDGING AT UNLV

1) Judges provide an incredible service to the debate community, but are
far too often ignored, undervalued, and/or simply screamed at after a
debate... To begin redressing this problem, and to recognize the
dedication and effort that goes into quality judging, UNLV is proud to
announce that will be providing an award to the "top judge" at the Las
Vegas Classic Debate Tournament.  The award is a very nice World Poker
Tour 300 chip poker set.  The top judge will be selected by the student
tournament participants in a democratic fashion.  Individualized ballots
for each student participant will be distributed at registration.

We believe in a simple criteria for selecting the top judge.  The ballot
will ask, "Which judge at the Las Vegas Classic Debate Tournament
represents the best qualities that you look for in a judge?  These
qualities may include: integrity, intelligence, commitment to education,
dedication to making the "right" decision, and a consistent effort to be a
quality judge."

These ballots can be turned in at any time (either at registration or at
the tab table), but they must be turned in by the conclusion of the final
debate on Sunday evening.  Late ballots will not be accepted.

2) The Las Vegas Classic Debate Tournament invitation stated that "Each
school is responsible for providing four rounds of judging for each team
entered"--even though this is a seven round tournament.  This is because
we will inevitably reach a point in round 7 where it becomes very
difficult to place judges and honor prefs (especially considering the
large entries by a few schools and the divergent judge prefs of many of
the teams).

Please know the following: if you have only 1 team entered (I believe that
at this point this is ONLY Vermont, Marist, Augie, and JCCC), we reserve
the right to use you for a 4th debate, but will try to avoid it.  If you
have 2 teams, you will judge a total of 7 debates, and if you have more
than 1 judge at the tournament we reserve the right to hit one of you up
to judge an 8th debate, but will try to avoid that too.  In other words,
if you have 2 teams and 2 judges, at least one of your judges will have to
judge a minimum 4 round commitment.  If you have any questions or
concerns, please contact me via email.

*Disclaimer: Some of the 2nd point in this email "resembles" the email
just sent out by Glen Frappier...That's because parts of his email have
been cut and pasted into this one, and the general inspiration for it came
from him--thanks Glen.

Jake

Dr. Jacob Thompson, Ph.D.
Director, Sanford I. Berman Debate Forum
Assistant Professor In Residence
Greenspun College of Urban Affairs
Department of Communication Studies
University of Nevada, Las Vegas