[eDebate] Frederick Douglass invite

Andy Ellis andy.edebate
Wed Sep 19 16:24:53 CDT 2007

9/19/07

Dear Debate Community:

 Baltimore College Debate & the Towson University Speech and Debate Team are
excited to invite you to the second annual Frederick Douglass Debate
Tournament, October 6-7 2007. Frederick Douglass spent much of his time in
Baltimore using debate as a means to educate and free himself from the
conditions of his time. We offer the Frederick Douglass debates as part of
the same tradition and are excited to see you join us in Baltimore for this
year's tournament.

This is already the second Baltimore College Debate tournament of the year,
At the Thurgood Marshall Season Opener Johns Hopkins and the Community
College of Baltimore County joined the larger mid atlantic debate community
for the 2007-2008 season and we hope  to get more new programs debating at
this second tournament. We are making a big push for novice debaters at this
tournament to join the JV and Varsity debaters who have made up the majority
of our competitors so far,so bring the whole squad !

 Towson University will serve as the host. Towson is convenient, located
near food and shopping, and the campus offers always free public wireless
internet, and a centralized location for rounds.

 Entry fees are low and hospitality is good, we will provide snacks
throughout the tournament and breakfast and lunch Saturday and Sunday. If
you pre-purchase your entry it is $15 per team, if you pay at the tournament
it is $25.  You can also join Baltimore College Debate for $100 and get 8
entries in any of our tournaments.

 The tournament will aim to provide 6 rounds of competition in three
divisions (Novice, JV, Varsity), with appropriate out rounds. If we need to
collapse divisions or add outrounds we will post to edebate and consult with
all teams entered on debateresults.

We are building college debate tournaments in to an existing youth education
and advocacy community in Baltimore and will be encouraging high school
students and coaches to attend tournaments, bring materials about your
program and your team!

 The goal of Baltimore College Debate is to build sustainable local debate
opportunities for students who attend schools without programs. Our
tournaments play a vital role in that process because they provide the
opportunity for students to have good competition as they are doing the work
to build their program. Attending our tournaments is a great way to sustain
new programs and local debate, and to provide many urban debate league
graduates an opportunity to compete in college.

If you have any question please feel free to contact me at
andy at balimorecollegedebate.org or 240-285-0843

Andy Ellis

Baltimore College Debate

Darren Goins
Towson University Speech and Debate

Beth Skinner
Towson University Speech and Debate

* *

*ELIGIBILITY & EXPECTATIONS*: The tournament is open to any two-person team
of undergraduate students. Teams in all divisions will be expected to engage
in switch-sides debating. Debaters without partners (mavericks) will be
paired up with other debaters with out a partner and will only be allowed to
compete without a partner at the discretion of the tournament director .
Towson may enter teams and those teams can clear in all divisions. Hybrid
teams will be accepted. Novices should meet the CEDA standards for novice
eligibility. Varsity is open to any competitor.

*ENTRIES & FEES:* Please enter via debate results www.debateresults.com, you
will receive a confirmation. Entry fees are $25 per team at the tournament
or $15 in advance. Advance entry credits can be purchased online at
www.theyoursstore.com

*FORMAT: *The tournament will have 6 preliminary rounds; advancement to
elimination rounds will be based on (1) win-loss record, (2) total speaker
points, (3) adjusted speaker points, and (4) strength of opposition.
Speakerpoints may be given in .5 increments.

The first three rounds will be pre-set. Round 4 will be paired off  of
rounds 1-2 and round 5 will be paired off of rounds 1-4.Round 6 will be
paired off of 1-5 . Time limits will be 9-3-6 with 10 minutes prep
time. Elimination round sides will be determined based on (1) reversing
sides from a prelim meeting, (2) individual coin flips.

*The tournament will use the CEDA Resolution:* Resolved: that the United
States Federal Government should increase its constructive engagement with
the government of one or more of: Afghanistan, Iran, Lebanon, the
Palestinian Authority, and Syria, and it should include offering them a
security guarantee(s) and/or a substantial increase in foreign assistance.

The tournament will seek ADA certification and abide by ADA rules.

The tab room will be open and public, coaches judges and teams are
encouraged to watch and participate in the process.

*JUDGES:* One judge is required to cover every two teams. One judge covering
one team is responsible for 3 rounds. All judges are committed to one round
past their teams' elimination.

A very limited number of judges may be available for hire through the
tournament at $100 per uncovered team. Contact us early if you need help
finding judges. Judges should meet the standards of the sanctioning
organizations.

*HOTELS:* We do not have a hotel deal nor do we have a tournament hotel,
however a variety of options exist in the area. Go to
www.baltimorecollegedebate.org/hotels.html after august 27th for more
information

This is the hotel we used last year

Comfort Inn $82/night, 8801 Loch Raven, internet, regular rooms.
 The Comfort Inn Towson is a wonderful hotel situated in a suburb setting
close to all the charm and history of Towson and the surrounding Baltimore
County. An overall atmosphere of serenity will delight guests when they
check in, for this hotel is well attuned to the individual needs of all its
visitors. The hotel features complimentary parking. In addition, area
attractions and venues that guests will want to experience are within the
vicinity, making it fun to get to know the area.
When it comes to the hotel's accommodations, guests will find everything
they want and need. With impressively appointed guest rooms that are well
stocked with the modern amenities travelers expect today, the hotel goes a
long way to make sure everyone enjoys their stay.
Adding to the overall pleasure of a stay here is the attentive and friendly
staff. Always professional, the knowledgeable staff is on call for every
guest needs and requests. The hotel is close to area dining, entertainment
and shopping venues.

If you have questions about hotels please feel free to contact me at
andy at baltimorecollegedebate.org or 240-285-0843. As progress on a long term
hotel deal is worked out I will post information about it.

* *

* *

*TRAVEL: *Towson is easily accessible from the I-95 corridor to the north
and south and from the I-70 corridor to the west. Towson is 100 miles from
Philly, 70 miles from Harrisburg  80 miles from Hagerstown, 60 miles from
DC, 70 miles from Wilmington Delaware and less then 50 miles from Bowie and
Annapolis. More information can be found here
http://wwwnew.towson.edu/main/abouttu/visitor/dircampus.asp

* *

*PARKING:  *Parking is free on weekends as long as it is marked as such, we
will post parking maps on edebate and baltimorecollegedebate.org closer to
the tournament.

*FOOD: * We will provide snacks, coffee and water throughout the day. Light
breakfast and Pizza Lunch will be provided on Saturday and Sunday.

*Saturday 10/6
*9:00-9:45 Registration
9:45 Pairings Released for Round 1 & 2

10:00 Round 1