[eDebate] The UMKC financial situation

Darren Elliott delliott
Tue Sep 25 18:26:11 CDT 2007

Friends,

I read the story that Tuna provided a link to today in his blog.  Again I was stunned.  Part of my role as a CEDA Executive (in my opinion) is to take notice of these situations and call on the organization to officially act.

Your thoughts and comments could be helpful.  I know its the beginning of the year and we are all under the gun in terms of getting cards cut, pouring over the case lists, etc.  If a program like UMKC can face this crisis, how many programs in the country are truly safe?

I sent the following email today to the CEDA leadership:

The recent story posted by Tuna regarding UMKC debate is very troubling.  NDT finalists, ranked in the top 10 Nationally in CEDA for many years throughout two decades, and they face this crisis.  It is time CEDA responds and responds swiftly.  I am open to thoughts and suggestions about how we should proceed.  We cannot let another program fall under the axe and sit idly by.

I am uniquely situated as I know the student govt. rep named in that article.  He is a good friend of 2 of my debaters.  I plan to contact him directly and see what the deal is--Im sure there is more than what was in the paper.

In the meantime, how should we proceed as officials?

thanks,
chief

Darren Elliott
Director of Debate and Forensics--KCKCC