[eDebate] Thurgood Marshall Results (Again)

NEIL BERCH berchnorto
Sun Sep 16 22:33:01 CDT 2007

Thanks to Andy, the Towson coaches, and the Towson debaters for an
outstanding preseason tournament.  I think everyone who attended benefited.
Congratulations to Binghamton and Towson on their victories.  Four other
things:
1.  Thanks to all the varsity debaters who found the right combination of
competition and education when debating raw novices in an open division.
The people our novices debated not only debated well; they also mentored
well.
2.  I'm always impressed when someone who has debated at the highest levels
puts their energy into coaching inexperienced debaters.  I wish I could
describe the look of pure joy on Scotty Gottbrecht's face as he talked about
his new debaters and their successes (I'm unclear on whether they're
technically novices, but that hardly matters).

I don't usually say anything about WVU debaters in posts like this, but I
must note:
3.  Our novices not only debated varsity debaters in their first rounds;
they did so with an affirmative that they had never seen before (through no
fault of their own, they discovered that their affirmative was residing in
Morgantown for the weekend).
4.  One of our novices took that a step farther by debating rounds 5 and 6
maverick.  Watch out for Marlie Whipkey; she's developing skills, and she's
already got perserverence and character!

Thanks again to our good friends from Towson.
--Neil Berch
West Virginia University