[eDebate] Bear Shock Prefs are Online

Morris, Eric R EricMorris
Fri Sep 28 09:10:16 CDT 2007

A couple of additional announcements:

1. Some judges are listed as JV/Novice or Novice-only. If you just copied your open teams prefs to JV/Nov, you have not yet ranked these critics. Novice-only critics should NOT be assigned to fulfill more rounds than are mathematically possible (3 rounds, if you have teams in the division). By the same principle, a judge that was not available Saturday could cover only the number of prelims scheduled on Sunday.

2. The numbers per category are based on the total judges in pool (42). However, only 39 appear in the open division. Debate Results does not (appear to) allow me to set different numbers by division.

3. Further, the number of constrained judges also impacts the number of 5's (the system is 1-6, with 6 as a strike)you receive - and, constraints vary by school. We often are unable to assign ANY 5's at regional tournaments because we burn them all constraining ourselves and our recent GTA's. Constraints are functionally strikes from a tab point of view, though clearly not from a competitor point of view. I'm eager to chat with anyone on the best way to handle this issue in the case of a small pool.

4. In response to concerns about #2/#3, I've adjusted the numbers for categories 3/4/5 to 5/5/11. I request you to go with 6/6/9 in novice given the larger pool size.

5. Even if you are constrained on half the judging pool, you always get 3 strikes. Just mark them, not matter whether debate results approves or not.

6. A couple of programs may not see this before the judge deadline of 1pm cst. I doubt it will have much impact on round 1/2, so it can be fixed at registration if needed.

Dr. Eric Morris
Asst Prof of Communication & Director of Forensics
Craig Hall 366A, Dept of Communication
Missouri State University
Springfield, MO 65897
(O) 417-836-7636
(H) 417-865-6866
(C) 417-496-7141
AIM: ermocito, ericandtaleyna

________________________________

From: edebate-bounces at www.ndtceda.com on behalf of Morris, Eric R
Sent: Thu 9/27/07 5:37 PM
To: edebate at ndtceda.com
Subject: [eDebate] Bear Shock Prefs are Online

Several things:

1. Prefs are now up online. They are due by 1pm on Friday. If you don't have a chance to fill them out, you can do so at registration - but, in that case, they would take effect Round 3.

2. I hope to hand out pairings at 7pm for registration. It is possible they will be retracted if there are drops. If you have a drop, please call my cell as soon as possible. My cell is 417-496-7141. If you expect to arrive late, I'd appreciate a call or email saying that your entries are all "in order". If you email me, consider including a cell number in case there's a need to consult during registration.

3. We have judging covered, but not with much room. If you are willing to hire an extra round, either overall or "if you really need me", please tell me so.

4. If you are using judges without philosophies, please try to add them (or at least some bio information).

5. Right now, our entries are 31 (open), 25 (JV), and 9 (nov), which means clearing 15 in open, 12 in JV, and 4 in novice. I hope to run JV/Open partial octos & novice finals on Sunday night, and start with JV/open quarters on Monday. I may make adjustments if I lose too many judges, however. The judge pool will be really tight during the partials round, so expect to be judging!

6. We will have a supplemental strike sheet including our coaches & older debaters (JV/Nov) at registration.

7. As per the invite, we have entered teams; they are award eligible & may clear. We will also clear swing teams, but not break brackets. We will divide our coaching staff such that individuals are either tab administration or coaching (not both) and will have Cate Palczewski in tab for any decisions that impact our teams. If you experience any concerns about this policy, please speak to me so we can consider adjustments for future "bear shocks".

8. I am operating under the assumption that any judge listed in open is either out of eligibility or forfeiting remaining eligibility. Natalie Pennington falls into the latter category. When a similar situation arose a few years ago, some felt odd about having a judge they had previously debated on the topic. We intend to conflict her on any such individual. If you have concerns beyond that, please contact me.

9. Judge strikes will be honored as much as possible. With prefs operating in all divisions, it is possible to burn entire critics depending on the strike pattern. We always hold the option to place a struck judge if absolutely necessary, but have been able to avoid it for several years despite prefs in all divisions. Hopefully, we will continue!

See you tomorrow night at 7pm ish - if you'll be late or have changes, please call me ASAP!

Ermo

Missouri State

417-496-7141